Core Needle Biopsy
I had bilateral breast lumpectomies done 7 yrs ago then biopsy was done after removal. Both lumps were benign. Last Sept. 2009, my annual mammogram & ultrasound revealed 1cm. lump in my left breast. A repeat mammo and ultrasound yesterday showed that it has increased to 1.5cm. This lump is tender. Considering my mother had breast cancer and I'm almost 40 yrs old, radiologist is recommending core biopsy as he is not sure of its fibroadenoma. If this needle is inserted, pricked my lump, will the lump cells come and spread to surrounding tissues once needle is removed? I am afraid that if this is malignant, the 'bad cells' will spread out instead. PLEASE enlighten/educate my troubled mind. Thank you.
I don't believe that the lump would leak, crumble; and then spread once it's punctured... whether or not it consists of cancerous cells. The sampling procedure is rather isolated. But, I do think that they should perform a lumpectomy... and run the pathology test on the lump itself, as opposed to having a needle sampling of the lump... especially if that lump is bothering you. Then again, maybe your past experience with benign lumps might be the basis for the decision to perform the less invasive needle biopsy.