Cancer Community
Could this be lung cancer?? SO SCARED!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Could this be lung cancer?? SO SCARED!!

I'm really freaking out and hoping someone can help me. I've had a cough for the last 6 or so weeks and now i'm finding blood in my spit after coughing. It started out to just be a tickle in my throat/lungs that would make me cough.  Cough was dry and breathing was fine.  6 weeks later the cough is worse...i'm wheezing off and on and this morning and this evening i've found small spots of blood in my spit after a coughing fit. I've been to the doctors a couple of times. Tried plain old cough medicine and a puffer but neither seemed to do any good.  Today i ended up at the ER after finding the blood i was terrified.  Doctor listened to my lungs and couldn't hear anything.  He also had a chest xray done and said my lungs looked pristine (which i'm assuming is a good thing)..no pnemonia (pneumonia) or anything. My question is would the xray have picked up lung cancer? Can just a normal chest cold or allergic cough cause blood in the spit you cough up?!?! If someone could please shed some light on this i'd really appreciate it.  He never really told me what could be causing my cough/wheezing.  I do have allergy related asthma and had a bad attack over Christmas.  All of this seemed to start after that, not sure if it's related or not...any help/info would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance. Oh i also forgot to mention that the wheezing and cough seems worse in the morning.
In my opinion, the cxr would have picked up any abnormalities.  Yes, a normal chest cold can cause your situation.  Did the physician prescribe anything for you?  What diagnosis did the ER physician give you?  
he basically said it's probably a virus or something but this has been going on for over a month. i do have allergy induced asthma also so he thought that might be playing a part...i don't know..i'm just scared..the blood is really freaking me out. My grandmother was coughing up blood before she died of lung cancer
i should also add that the congestion seems to come and go throughout the day and so does the wheezing
Well, you can also consult a Pulmologist if you haven't already.  Sounds like uncontrolled Asthma, which will make you more susceptible to infections.   Did you get any medications from the ER physician?  

Sounds more infectious vs cancer.  

Dr. said any infection would have showed up on the xray and my lungs were totally clear..sure don't sound it when i'm breathing....he did give me an antibiodic just incase but it's not doing anything...last night was the worst yet..my chest was so tight and when i woke up my breathing was so rattly..i seems like there's phlem in my chest but keeps tightening up so i can't get it up. I don't know....just tired of feeling like this
If it is a viral infection, then it will NOT respond to an ATB or you do not have the correct ATB for the bacterial infection.  Sounds possibly like Bronchitis in my opinion.  With Bronchitis, the cxr CAN be totally clear.  

What is the ATB?    Well, physicians are not going to give you an ATB if they don't think it is an infection; that makes no sense.  

You NEED to return back to the ER or see your physician ASAP to be reassessed.  GET TO A PHYSICIAN.  

I still believe this is uncontrolled Asthma with URI, not cancer.  
Thanks again for the reply.  I stopped taking the antibiodic...wasn`t working at all..i`m taking a cough medicine now that has something to loosen up phlem and that seems to be working SLOWLY. I was talking to my mother in law last night and she`s had a cough now for almost 2 months so it may just be something that`s going around....at least that`s what i`m hoping.  I went back to the ER..same thing...had another look at the xray and listened to my chest again..said he heard a little wheezing and figures it`s probably something viral. Getting really frustrated..i`ve never had something like this so long.  I only hear the wheezing if i push my breath out hard...not if i`m just breathing in and out normally. Still shouldnt be there though..and i can hear it as soon as i wake up..breathing in and out.
Did the ER physician prescribe a steroid for you?  Inhalers?  Breathing treatments?