Cancer Community
DLBCL after Radiation! Can side effects harm Thyroid gland?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

DLBCL after Radiation! Can side effect harm thyroid gland ?
by pepaiva, Oct 12, 2009 05:21AM
Thank you for answers an post preliminary!
I have one question relevent with Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma. This is diagnosis of my husband. She was put in december 2008. Since december to may 2009 he is in chemotherapy + Mabthera. (8 infuses) than in june follow 15 procedures of Radiation. I forgot to say that lymphoma is in Neck. After that treatment now in september follow scintigraphy.the doctor fix. that his thyroid gland wasn`t normal and they don`t know is that Lymphom symptomps or is side effect of Radiation?!?!? And must do some laboratory examination of thyroid hormones...but I`m so worried because  we live in Bulgaria, there no PET-CT and I don`t know what to do.....and I`m not sure is exam of thyroid gland without PET will be qualitative....please help, give me advice ...what to do.
Thank you!!!!

This discussion is related to Diffuse large B- cell lymphoma.
The thyroid can be imaged with ultrasound.  Radiation exposure to the neck can easily damage or kill off the thyroid gland.  If the doctor is concerned about the lymphoma spreading to the thyroid, or subsequent thyroid cancer (which is possible with high level radiation to the thyroid gland), thyroid removal is routine and the thyroid medications are very effective for treating those of us without thyroid glands.

Utahmomma
papillary carcinoma (thyroid) '03, second surgery '04, recurrence and I-131 '06
three sisters with papillary carcinoma