Cancer Community
Drain tube

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Drain tube

Is it common not to place a drainage tube after a lumpectomy? My mother age 83 had breast cancer surgery in April. Four lymph nodes removed with no drain tube. No her breast is huge and swollen with pain. She was told her body would absord the fluid. Now she looks like she has an abscess on her breast or some type of infection. When asked doctor to give her antibiotics, he said she did not need them. After a few weeks her started to use a needle to draw fluid, but her breast is still swollen and darker. How can the fluid and I believe infection be removed?
It's not usually common after a lumpectomy to have a drainage tube but where were the lymph nodes?  If one of them is the axilla then they should have considered one.  If it's infected she needs antibiotics.  The breasts do look bad after surgery and they do swell too.  This is July, from April that swelling should have gone down.  She may have lymphedema of the breast, if that is the case, she needs to see a certified lymphedema therapist for treatment.  Let me know where you live and I can refer you to one.