Cancer Community
Elevated Alpha Feta Protein Levels - 15.7ng/L

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

I've recently been suffering from eratic blood pressure and flushing.  My doctor ran some blood tests and the tumour marker AFP has been reported as being 15.7ng/L (I'm told normal is about 7ng/L and definately should be under 10ng/L).  The blood  tests were run again and the result confirmed.

I've just had a testicular examination and my doctor tells me that they appear totally normal and I've now been referred to a general surgeon who specialises in colorectal disorders.  He will confirm the testicular exmination and look into the other possible causes.  I'm told he will probably use a CT scan.

Can you comment on my situation?  Have you seen normal healthy individuals present with elevated AFP levels?  What other disorders other than cancer can cause this marker to be elevated?

Phxobat

39yr old male
I also meant to add that I suffer form high cholesterol levels and have failed to improve them by lifestyle changes.  Can this be related to elevated AFP levels?

Phoxbat
Oh I just read your post again It just dawn on me. I had one of those done cause they found a tumor in my liver. The AFP came out normal. My doctor told me if it was high it still  not guratneed if it is cancer or not.
What is a AFP?
Problems with liver can cause elevated alpha fetoprotein levels. If you like your drinks, your alpha fetoprotein may be high. Not all germ cell tumors arise in testicles, some can arise in your abdomen and rarely in the front of your chest. A CT scan will be able to tell u if u have tumors in any of this site. Very rarely, germ cell tumors can also arise in the brain.
Good luck to you.
Thanks for the extra information, much appreciated.

Phoxbat
what do you mean if you like your drinks? My husband was diagnosed with Cirrhosis in April- May 2007, he has had Hepatitis since he was very young. so we are new to all this. he had a doc. appt this past Wed and he told him about his Alpha Feta, Doc said it was high then lower then high again.
how much do you know about all this.
The range for AFP is 0 - 15ng/ml. I have 20.9. AFP (not necessarily) a tumor marker. Even at 20.9 my hepatologist and gastroentologist aren't to concerned. But concerned enout to have given me a CT scan.
High AFP levels can be from Hepatitis, Cirrhosis, Hepacelular Carcinova, Testicular Cancer.
Do you have any liver problems? It seems that Elevated AFP levels are associated mostly with liver issues, and to a slightly lesser degree to Testiculal cancer.
If you have hepatitis or any liver disease, Alcohol is a poison.
I ALSO HAVE ELEVATED AFP'S FOR ABOUT  3 YEARS NOW. I WAS EXPOSED TO HEP C AT SOME TIME BUT AM NOT SHOWING ANY SIGNS OF THE DX. I HAVE BLOODWORK EVERY 6 MONTHS AND CAT SCANS EVERY YEAR. I SURE HOPE IT STAYS STABLE-IT COULD MEAN LIVER CANCER WHEN THE AFP IS ELEVATED.
I had a sona cram 6 months ago because my AFT was high. I have hipC 5 years ago I did 14 Months of interfuron side afects were bad  now my AFT is higher AST is elevated ALT is elevated and virus is 4million500thousand. On the 2nd I see my doctor to talk about having MRI. I have sober for 7years try to eat healthy and drink only good things, a coke every now and then. I take 450 mg of budeprion for depression and cloranzapan for anziaty was taking 350mg of suriquil to sleep but quit suriquil 6months ago could meds have caused this.