Cancer Community
Elevated CA-125 with clear ultra sound. Stressed and confused!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for some clarification, as I'm doing nothing but worrying day and night.  This has been going on for months now.  I am 32 years old, and overall healthy.  Back in Feb I went to my doc with pains in my side.  He thought it could be kidney stones, so he sent me for a CT Scan.  The results of the scan came back as 2 large masses on my ovaries (1 on each).  I was booked for an ultra sound and sent for blood tests.  My blood tests came back with elevated levels of CA-125.  When I was finally in for my ultra sound, it came back showing nothing on my ovaries.  My doctor thought that perhaps I had cysts that burst on their own, and sent me back for another CA-125 test to see if it could have been a false positive.  The results of my second CA-125 test was still shown as high.  He sent in a request for me to see a gynecologist about 2 weeks ago and said it could take months to get an appointment, as there is a long wait list.  I can't imagine sitting around for months with thoughts that I could possibly have cancer and there's nothing I can do about it.  With a clear ultra sound, does this rule out cancer?  I'm very confused and dealing with a lot of worry and anxiety.  Any words of wisdom are appreciated.  Thanks :)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? As mentioned from the other post,elevated Ca-125 may also be attributed to other issues such as uterine fibroids, endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease and cirrhosis, as well as pregnancy and normal menstruation. Hang on and stay positive always. Take care and regards.
I would not worry too much about the ca125. I had boderline malignant ovarian cancer with scatter implants over 13 years ago. I just about went crazy looking at everything on the internet. I have been a nurse for over 35 years and have seen a lot so I was scared to death but my gyn said he has seen patients go over 20 years with no problems.  I was having low back pain and rt sided abdominal pain.  My ovaries had been rupturing and bleeding and causing things to stick together in my abdomen. After surgery I have occasional pain like other women but nothing has shown up on CT's.  If you had full blown ovarian cancer it would show up on ct or mri scans so don't be too hard on yourself but be very deligent in seeking the right Doctor and the right help. It never hurts to have second opinions either. Had I not had some pain I might never have even asked the doctor about it.  Like I said it's been over 13 years with no apparent problems. If you are really worried, most gyn will at least do a laparoscopic exam which is quick and easy for them to just take a look with a camera scope and put your mind at ease.  Good luck and God Bless