Cancer Community
Elevated CEA Level

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Elevated CEA Level

Hi.  I am 38 years old and have been experience pain in the lower left quadrant of my abdomen, change in bowel habits, weight loss for the pass 4-6 months.  I was referred by my primary care physcian to at GI doctor after bloodwork was done.  I met with the GI doctor yesterday and he explained to me that my CEA level was 45.   I am scheduled for a colonoscopy on Monday but am really scared as everything i am reading says that normally anytime the CEA level is greater than 20 then it is usually a malignant type of cancer.  Does anyone know of anyone that has had a level this high?  Or if something else could make it that high?  I am a non-smoker.....any answers would be greatly appreciated....

How are you?

Going by your symptoms and the elevated levels of CEA, the possibility of cancer of the bowel especially colorectal cancer cannot be ruled out. Non-cancerous conditions that cause inflammation such as pancreatitis, cirrhosis of the liver and bowel diseases can also raise levels above normal. Moreover, the plasma CEA assay does not possess the sensitivity or the specificity required to discriminate between localized malignant tumors and benign disorders.

CEA independently cannot be used to establish a diagnosis of cancer. Other tests like sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy and biopsy are required to make a confirmatory diagnosis.

If you need any more information, then pls do post us.

My father visited his oncologist today.  He was told that he had a CEA in the 90s, and that from what my sister said he has cancer in the fluids in his abdominal cavity and possibly in the lymphatic system.  What is continued within normal limits for CEA.  And what does a 90+ CEA count mean?