End-Stage Liver Cancer
My father is 78.  He was diagnosed with prostate cancer 6 years ago and treated it with radiation.  The cancer reappeared a few years later as colon cancer and he had a section of his colon and his gall bladder removed.  About a year ago the cancer surfaced again, this time as liver cancer with spots detected in his stomach and lungs as well.  We have known for some time that the cancer is terminal.  My dad has been on chemo. until recently, in hopes of extending his life.

Last week he was feeling particularly weak and went to his doctor.  His doctor detected jaundice and further tests revealed that the cancer has progressed throughout his liver and lungs.  He has begun to retain water and is sleeping more.  I understand that these are symptoms of liver failure.  The doctors told us that there is nothing more they can do and estimate he has only a few weeks left.  They have stopped all medications (except for nausea, pain, and diarretic meds).

We took my father home and immediately setup hospice care for him.  I'm trying to learn what we can expect over the next few weeks so that I can help my family prepare for it and make my father as comfortable as possible for as long as we're blessed to have him.  Can anyone help guide me on what we can expect to happen as this progresses?  I've read about the possibility of the loss of cognitive function, random hand movement, and even water seeping from body tissues.  But all that the doctors have told us is that my father will sleep more and more until he eventually falls asleep and never wakes up.  While that's a comforting thought, I suspect the reality is somewhat different (I lost someone to luekemia and lymphoma, and know what that's like).  Any help or pointers to websites would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Chemotherapy does not help with liver cancer.
I have a 23 year old friend who has gastric cancer that was found to have mestatised to the liver, adrenal glands, ovaries & bones in the spinal region on Feb 5 2011. She is home with us now, but she has jaundice, fluid retaining in the stomach, swollen feet, itches all the time and forgets things and sometime says things that aren't real. For the past 2 days she has lost her appetite & will eat a few spoon in the morning but nothing else. She hasn't gotten out of bed except to go to th ebathroom (with assistance). I wonder how much longer she has & what to expect in the time left.
Our situation seems to be very different from everyone who has posted here. My father was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in August 2008. After surgery, he had radiation which we think was responsible for the fact that he never regained normal bowel function. He was started on chemo (Xeloda) but had a severe allergic reaction called "hand-and-foot syndrome" - the cells leak fluid and the skin turns bright red, peels, and blisters. So no more chemo.

The following year, they found tumors in his liver. He delayed biopsy and treatment because he knew he couldn't/wouldn't take more chemo. By the time they resected the three tumors, one of them was huge and probably would have killed him within weeks (it was wrapped around an artery).

October 2010 - they found a small tumor in his lung. When doing pre-op work-up, they did an MRI and found that the tumors had recurred in his liver. Surgery canceled. No further treatment available.

November 2010 - had a stroke. Now paralyzed on left side. We learned afterwards that cancer increases the risk of stroke. Sent home to start in-home hospice.

Here we are at the end of Feb. Four months. He is very, very thin and completely incontinent. He has periods of extreme confusion but most of the time he is completely lucid. No pain. No apparent change in his condition for the past 3-4 months. No jaundice, no concentrated urine. He does sleep a lot. His appetite is still pretty good.

I don't see any sign of this ending anytime soon. Not that I want him to die, of course, but this isn't life. It is slow-motion death. I know those of you whose family members went fast would have liked more time, but I have to tell you, for the sake of the person with cancer, going fast is really better. Actually, for the sake of the family, too.
Just an update on my father. It is now end of March, five months since the stroke. Not much change. Appetite has decreased a little, he sleeps a little bit more. No one can tell us anything. We have no idea what is going on.

I am just guessing that the nearly total lack of nutrition (whatever food goes in comes right back out) is causing the cancer cells to multiply very slowly, or at least more slowly than would normally be the case. So the tumors are growing slowly.

Cancer *****. If this ever happens to me, I will find a way to end my life before I am completely bedridden and helpless. There is no dignity or peace in a death like this.
I want to thank you all for posting your stories.  It has help me process everything.  After getting off the phone with my mother...I now know it will be a matter of days before she is with her heavenly Father.  I am so grateful my daughters and I got to see her a few days ago.  

My mom started out having colon cancer and combated it with 6 months of chemotherapy.  During the therapy, she complained to the "NC Duke doctors" of having side pain.  They dismissed it and said it was from her colon healing from surgery.  Turns out they should have paid attention to their patient more...it was stage 4 liver cancer.  Right away she had a liver resection to remove most (not all) of the cancer.  She has runned out of time to combat the cancer with more chemotherapy.  She was admitted to the hospital with "tumor fever".  The oncologist also discovered that the tumors had come back even more in the liver and within the abdomen.  She had two drainage tubes inserted to remove the bile and other fluids from the liver.  She started to become very jaundice.  She left the hospital to stay with my brother after two weeks in the hospital.  I think everything that could be done was done.  Her skin is now orange, urine tea colored, burps, thirsty constantly, on pain medications, exhausted, and her mental state is sufferering.  

I am glad to learn she will probably pass away in her sleep.  I hope so.  I watched my husband pass away from leukemia.  It is very difficult to see family suffer, but it is a part of life.  Make the cancer patient as comfortable as possible.  Be strong for your other family members...extend lots of grace!!!!!  No one is perfect.  So make peace and love one another as Christ loves you!  Blessings,  Nicole
My mother-in-law spent 10 days in a small local hospital.  Got dx with hemochromitoios and then they changed their minds.  Her brother has had a liver transplant. they finally sent her to Duke. They kept her one day and sent her home for in home chemo, which cannot start til her strengh is up.  Her stomach is very sore when she eats.  Her legs are swollen, we thought because of the water around the heart, conjestive heart failure.  She seems to have been weak for a while.  The Drs at Duke did not say much about her condition, stage or prognosis. After reading this I am even for concerned.  Thankfully she is a born again Christian and has served God all her 78 years. My father-in-law's first wife of 48 years was lost to cancer 10 years back, really hope he, and her, are not going to have to go thru this.
Hi Joan

Hope you get this. It is now about 6 weeks since you last posted but I would be interested in hearing how your fathers condition has progressed.

My boyfriend and I are in similar condition with his father. The final stages have now gone on for four months and we (and his wife) are struggling to cope at times.

As you say, it's death in slow motion. I have never experienced anything so cruel. Katie
My mother died Jan, 2010 with lung cancer ( actually renal and cardiac shut down as effects of radiation on throat and chemo poisoning)
The day my mom was buried, my dad had a stroke. The day we put him into the hospital to find out what caused the stroke revealed he had lung and liver cancer. He received chemo for awhile, but now just wants it to be over so he can be with my mother.
He was referred to hospice when he stopped chemo - which is normally only referred to those who can expect to live 6 months or less.

We had many questions and were referred to the booklet noted below:
http://www.hospicesantacruz.org/HCP.booklet.English.09.pdf
That site has a booklet that has answered many of our questions about what to expect in the last months of cancer.
hi i just lost my mum 9 weeks ago to secondary liver cancer. My sisters and i only got a few hours notice as the hospital thought they were treating my mum for gallstones. She became quite stressed on the friday night and had started to hillucinate and when the doctor came round on the saturday morning he said she would only last a few hours. she died at 2pm.
Hi all, I seem to be different ot you all as I am the paitent i have secondary livery mets from beast cancer, i am 42. I think im now in the fial stages i had been diagnosed with 3 moths maybe but things have changed his last 2 days, with alot of sleeping arrythmia has gone mad i feel very sick and faint all the time. i sweat alot too. so who knows i feel instintively that its coming to and end i knew each time the cancer had spread too and where too im quite intuitive and in touch with my own body. its hard to find info on the net about liver mets, theres not much info for symptoms thanks to you all for sharing as it does help to pick thru it all and find out what might be happening to me.
My dad (64)had a stomach cancer two years ago.Doctors removed all of his stomach and said that nothing else was afectet and never gave him chemo.One year after surgery cancer came back above his left kidney and on his esophagus.sence the cancer was small dr said they will do aggresive chemo.Aggresive they did...My dad was taking it so bad and made him realy sick,his blood count was all over chart but my mom would mange to get it back to somewhat "normal range".After his last (third) dose of chemo my dad was so week that he couldn't walk anymore,he couldn't go to toilet on his own neither...He was in diapers.In hospital they gave him two bags of blood but it didn't help.They also didn't change his dipers so my dad ask to go home.And they let him do so.By that time in hospital he developed jaundice ...When my mom ask why she was told that is after chemo effect.Two weeks after he came home jaundice didn't go away his blood results were worst and worst.Still his gastroenterologist was saying that he will be ok and that is just chemo working.I live in Canada but my family is in Europe.So my mom ask dr againe is dad ok "cause I'm far and it takes time to book a flight.Dr asured my mom not to be worried.That was on the sunday.Monday they check his blood and my dad's family dr said it's very bad.But that he will check his billirubin's on thursday.Tuesday same week my mom told me that dad's stomach is swolen and his feet that he didn't urinet sence sunday but did have BM.Dad also said to my mom that he is kind of halucinating.By the evenig same tuesday he was making no sence in his talking,yelling and trying to push someone away even do that person wasn't there.He had few spoons of soup and fell asleep.Wendsday (today) he is in coma not reacting to my mom or any talk or questions.My mom called gastroenterologist more then dozen times dr didn't even had a disancy to call back.Finally she called emergency ,they refuse to take him to hospital to ,refused to insert catatar to empty his blllader,gave him morphine shot and told my mom that there's nothing to be done and it's just a matter of hour or days...Bottom line is dr told mytwo days ago mom he will be fine,cancer is gonne...Today two days later I've found out my dad is dying and that I won't probably make it to his death bed ,probably his funeral neither.I'm very angry at dr and medical stuff that pride themselfs in humanity and helping sick...It looks that my dad had secondary liver cancer or as  far as I'm concerned they have killed him with chemo.Be awere people,if you see your loved ones getting worst.weeker,depresed and dr is saying evrything is fine don't listen.Listen your loved ones and your heart.I have bought the ticket and will be livig on monday and be in Europe by friday noon time.Hope my dad still waits for me...I want to say how much I love him,that I'm sorry and to say thanks for being my dad and that he was the best dad one girl could have.Love you dad....Wait for me,dad just a few day longer,I"m comming....
I wrote aboute my dad 1 hour ago( 2a.m)...Couldn't sleep...I have called my mom back to Europe(8 a.m there )...I called my mom to see how is dad...She said he had died.Funeral is tomorrow at 2 p.m.My dad's body is inside the house and I can't even be there,I can't even kiss him,tell him I love you....My mom told me he was in coma with his eyes open looking at a sealing,breathing heavily,puffing air out more then breathing...She told him to hold on that I'm comming on tuesday and then he started puffing the air out even harder.And as she was talking and holding his hands he just stoped breathing closed his eyes and he was gonne.Just like that...I'm all alone in my house ,I have no one to call or talk so  I appologize if I'm a bit to much but I have to say to someone.All my family is in Europe,beside my dad where I should be  as well... at least I wouldn't be alone in my pain....My dad passed away few hours ago.I can't belive it.Three days ago he was just fine.Now I don't have him anymore and will never say my godbyes or see him again waiving at me on front of the old house.That's where I saw him last time  almost a year ago.Hope this helps someone to  know how little time some people have and how preciuse is every moment.
Last year my 78 year old mom was diagnosed with colon cancer.  Her first treatment was radiation.  When that didn't work, she had surgery to remove the mass and had a colostomy done.  Her rectum and portion of her intestine were removed and the remaining intestine rerouted through a opening on her side.  This was a major life change for her she was an active person.  However, in May 2011, cancer cells appeared on her liver.  She had been on chemotherapy since June 2011.  Last week her white cell blood count and platelets were dangerously low.  She ended up in the hospital where they tried to bring up her white cell blood count.  They could not after a couple of transfusions or injections of platelets.  She was also bleeding internally (platelets are blood clotting agents).  The Doctor decided to take her off chemotherapy because the side effects (low white cell blood count/platelets) were doing more harm than good.  But, with no chemotherapy, the cancer is spreading at an alarming rate.  The Doctor gave her about one more month to live.  While on chemo she lost considerable weight
Sorry, I hit the wrong button.  However, she gained about 10 lbs. since a couple of weeks ago.  I'm trying to figure out why.  Her doctor is not a good communicator and has not given us much information.  So we ask others and I look up information on internet.  She is home with us and we have not called hospice yet.  My sister, another lady and I will be caring for her.  Her last stay in the hospital was a terrible experience once they found out the Doctor was going to call hospice.  They did not want to provide her with any service at all to the point of not cleaning her room!!  I'm also looking for information on what's next.  She dozes off alot and walks with a walker or is in a wheel chair.  Her hands and feet are col.   The bottom of her feet are numb (another side effect of the chemo).  Her hair is thin but she still has some left.  I plan to be with her as much as I can and make her life as comfortable as possible.  I'm urging family members to come see her or call her.  She loves visits and talking to people. May God Bless all of you and your loved ones.
My name is Angie I live in Palm beach county Florida.My husband Billy who is 55 got a liver transplant in march 2007 at Jackson memorial Hospital in Miami.He s had a couple of roadblocks but always pulled through.We went for a check up in Miami the end of September and we were told his liver was starting to fail...we know that it was starting to show some scarring..but we were kind of shocked.they do not give a second liver anymore especially if its due to cirrohsis.I had no idea that it would start to fail so soon,,the doctors said he s been pretty lucky they have seen a liver start to reject after 3 months..he has hep c and that always stays in your blood they say..I just dont know how long he can survive know that its starting to fail....I  have read all the comments here and it helps to know there are many people out there with similar stories....thanks for listening or reading lol    :)
My mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in May 2011. I have one brother and two sisters and I am the youngest daughter. The doctor told all of us at the appointment that she had 3 to 6 months to live. I decided to quit my job and take care of her full time and we were to take one night a week and one weekend a month. It ended up being me most of the time.
We are now into November next week is Thanksgiving and she is still hanging on. I really don't understand how. She has hospice here twice a week I really don't like some of the nurses I wish they would let you choose one of your choice because I liked one of them so far and I wanted her for my mom all the time but she advised me that is not allowed. My mother has not ate a thing for over 6 weeks now she sleeps all the time. I keep track of how much she drinks its only a half a cup of liquid per day if that. I don't know how she can even get up but she does she moves around she talks sometimes out of her head talks about my father alot and he has been dead for over 6 years. She calls me all kinds of names. My older sisters are tired of helping they think the doctor misdiagnosed her. I hate that they are putting all of the work on me. I have two teenage daughters that I need to care for but they don't seem to care. They say I don't like her anymore she will not take a bath and she doesnt care what she looks like. I am so lost right now and wonder why she still has any energy at all and what her body is living on if she is in the last stages it sure doesnt seem like it except for the not eating and not drinking. Its very frustrating to all of us but especially me. Hospice just keeps telling me oh she is doing good I just want to know its hard day after day not knowing I found this site and glad to hear some signs as hospice wont tell me anything and will not be open and honest with me they are so worried about her eating and having a bowel movement if I hear that one more time I am gonna scream. I just wish I knew because it is hard sitting her day in and day out and she seems fine but they tell me she is dieing. Thanks for listening if anyone can help me with some advise please do.
Jute
My husband has was told 19 October he had stomach cancer, up until last week he was down for chemo. We have since found out it is very aggressive and his spread to his lungs, liver and muscle. He is only 31 and was well in to his fitness. He went downhill from September and has been told he only has a few weeks. Last August 2010 he was told it was just an ulcer. I am in shock and just completely heartbroken. Its all so cruel.
I agree.  Going fast seems better than watching your loved one decline day after day and there's nothing you can do.  My husband was diagnosed with primary liver cancer 13 months ago.  Has been on hopice care for the past 7 months.  
I know it has been awhile since your post.My husband will be 45 in 2 wks. He has Leomyosarcoma and  had surgery in 2009. The cancer came back in his liver and other areas. He has  not been able to work since last August and since christmas has been declining quickly.  We have 5 children the oldest is 23 and the youngest 4. It is so difficult to watch him waste away as he has always been a very strong man.  This time of waiting is very long and painful.  the past week his bowel movements have turned white and urine dark.  I don't know how much longer he has it is hard also to watch his kind and loving personality change.  He seems very irritated and angry sometimes.  I miss his smile.  sometimes i wish this was over but I don't want a minute to go by without him.  
This site has been a godsend to me.  My stepdaughter was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer 3 years ago.  She had her colon removed early, chemo was started to hopefully prolong her life, her diagnosises was terminal from the beginning.  In addition she is a drug addict. She removed all family members from knowing the full details; she has been in the hospital for the past four weeks and it doesn't look good.  She is not jaundiced yet, little appetite, sleeping alot and has been taken off all drip pain meds -- is on patches.  retained lots of fluid, can't do stents, has two bladder bags and she is still in denial.  The doctor told her yesterday that chemo is not an option anymore and recommended hospice -- she is livid and wants another doctor for a second opinion.  I hate to have her suffer in so much pain---
Hi Justme0302
My husband was diagnosed with leiomyosarcoma in his shoulder that had spread to his spine in Nov 2010 he had radiation that shrunk it and kept it at bay until his spine pain became uncontrollable in Sept 2011, he then had the tumor removed from his shoulder and a spine operation to remove part of L1 vertibrae and put in two rods to strengthen his spine, we were also told he had spots in his lungs. Two days ago we went for a checkup and was told the cancer has moved to his liver. We have been told he has 12 months with no treatment or 24 months if he has chemo. At this stage he is 100% well so we are unsure if we should risk the chemo and decrease the quality of life that he has at the moment with the chance of extending it. My thougths are with you, my husband is 62 so are youngest child is18 so that makes it a little easier for me. Until you experience it you have no idea how you will cope but at the end of the day you just have to get on with it and accept what you cant change. Make the most memories that you can for your children. Kind regards Gail
My  son/law is end stage liver cancer. He is 32 years old.  Yes, this is sucha heartbreaking thing.  It is so hardto watch and feel there is nothing you can do.  PRAY PRAY PRAY....Miracles still happen and if it is Gods will to take them home , pray for comfort and peace in their hearts and yours.  He did everything...chemo, radiation, radiation implants, stents put in and more chemo.   But here we are.  He just started hospice 2 weeks ago.  Tough decision but it was the time. He has limited time left.  Keep posting on whats happening.  
    My Brother in law and best friend for over 50 years is going through the final stages of liver cancer as I write you this. I just left him and I reminded him of something we both desided along time ago. That was who are we to exspect to suffer less than our Lord Jesus Christ did. We both believe he is with him as he suffers but reasuring him that when he cant fight any longer he can turn and climb on our saviors back and he will carry him to paridise.As in life we have pain and sorry as in death we will gain strenth and understanding through Jesus Christ our Lord. Keep faith strong its not thier end but a new beginning of pleasure and love.   Captain Ash
My Father in law was diagnosed with prostate cancer 7 yrs ago, got treated and went into remission. A year later he had a stroke and slightly lost his speech. In November 2011 he was diagnosed with lung cancer, and went through radiation treatment as they say, chemo would have killed him because he is 83yrs old. He did 6wks of radiation and on February 13,2012 a scan was taken and showed the cancer had spread to his liver. He was given 2months to live. Here we are April 25, 2012 and he is very weak, jaundice, incontinent, breathing is shallow, complaining of his back and stomach hurting, not wanting to eat or drink anything, but still able to talk and recognizes everyone. I believe he is in his hours, days, as we were leaving the nursing home that he resides in he reached out to us. I really don't like seeing him suffer. I only hope and pray that when God decides to take him that he does so in his sleep. I love you dad!
thanx for all of u for helping post , those who lost there loved ones , i can feel that pain. my father is also suffering from liver metatesis colon cancer , he have same symptoms of ending life , that all of u posted.i m feeling very upset helpless watching him in the worst condition. he use to be a strong person now he cannot stand alone, he need someone to help him every time.he is not under any medication just two weeks ago he diagnosed by the cancer.my father is 56, v r 4 sisters and 3 brothers i m the elder1 i m 30y.v all confuse for taking steps for his medication ,the procedure is very painfull and not trustable that dad will survive more.God knows better.my dad is not agree for chemo etc.Cannot understand what to do.....he is losing weight so fast from 78 kg now he is 56kg.
I feel anger and depression. My husband is in his final stage of secondary liver cancer and I have an 8 yr old son who is sad that his dad won't be at his 9th bday. I don't understand why him!! This disease is evil and cruel. I feel your pain and wish you the best in your healing.
I'm sorry for your father, I am losing my husband now to end stage secondary liver cancer. It is horrible watching my husband lose his mind slowly like this. I have questions similar to yours, not knowing is difficult. A part of me dies everyday.
Hi! Jojobean,
You may consider to take your husband to Dr. Im Sung Min in Eatonville,WA
Im sorry for your loss.   I was noticing the simularities in your story, my 46 yr old brother was diagnosed with 4th stage liver cancer in Feb. Non operable. They gave him 8 mos. He tried a new cancer drug called Nexavar but it made him so ill they had to stop. After many visits to the hospital he had an abdominal scan & the dr said it was worse than he thought and gave him a month to live. He chose hospice at home. They came to the house & he began to take morphine & Ativan, and a pain patch. Things were going along ok than he started acting confused & very paranoid. He thought people were trying to chase him & kill him. He even tried to run out the door to get away, He ended up going to a hospice facility & his meds were doubled. Because he is only 46 he is still fighting for his life but getting more scared  & paranoid. Since his meds were upped he is so wacked out.  My heart is broken in peices watching him deteriate.  Hospice is keeping him pain free but he is so restless & tries to walk around & can barely comunicate,  Im so confused,  did he go on hospice too soon ?   One day hospice said to say our goodbyes cause he had all the end signs, even blue fingers, shallow breathing, than the next day he was sitting up.   They thought it was the end, but he is hanging on..
you are blessed to have your father at home to spend every last second with him. Im sorry you have to go thru this too.  My 46 yr old brother with 4th stage liver cancer, who also complained alot about his stomache hurting, wanted to be home but when hospice strted him on morphine and other drug combinations he became very paranoid & confused. The drs say its the cancer that does that. Im sad that my brother couldnt be at home where he wanted to be.    Now he is in a hospice facility and getting pumped up with meds..he still tries to walk around but something is clearly effecting his thoughts & motor skills. Its the saddest thing in the world to watch someone you love go thru this. One day hospice told us this was the end and to say our goodbyes, the next day he was sitting up eating. Hang in there. Be strong. :)
All you can do is be there for her. Talk to her, listen to her, or just sit beside her.   We were doing that with my brother who has end stage liver cancer, but he was getting so paranoid & halucinating that someone was after him, he tried to get out of the house and it got dangerous so he is now in a hospice facilty, still trying to walk out, lol... however he is confused & can barely comunicate to us. My family has been taking shifts to be with him and try to comfort him. Most of the time anything he says is childlike. I think the meds make them different. The drs say its the cancer. Im confused.  I wish my brother was home again.  Just be there, good luck & know you are not alone. Its the saddest thing for anyone to go thru  :(
Im going thru the same exact thing. My brother is only 46.   And because he is young he is fighting for his life with the strong parts of his body, but getting so confused & so scared.  He tries to walk a little, and the hospice nurses say this is normal, the toxins go to the blood and it effects his brain. If this is the end than why isnt he resting peacefully like everyone else says. They stopped giving my brother anything to relieve the toxins, and I dont know why. More calls to the drs and questioning the hospice nurses.its exausting and consuming. It breaks your heart in a million peices. Hang in there  :(
Same thing for me with my mum it awful hope there would be a Miracle to cure this dreaded thing
My brother also was diagnosed with liver cancer 4, sirrosis & hep C. Gave him 8 months, tried to give him a cancer pill called Nexavar but it made him worse. Nothing else they can do. Last test showed he had a month to live.  Well it's been a month. I knew my brother wouldnt go with out a fight either. He is a tough biker kind of guy full of life. He lived hard & fast. He is now in a hospice facility on all kinds of meds. We tried to keep him at home on hospice but he got real paranoid & started  hullicinating that people were after him, tried to run out of the house several times. He still tries to walk a little, he is putting up a good fight.  The drs say the toxins are building up and effecting his brain. Also his kidneys,  we visit himleveryday, sometimes twice. Its breaking our hearts watching him go thru this.   If the drs were rite he wouldnt be here. For some reason he is hanging on.  Hang in there & know your not  alone  :(
Thank u all. This makes it a bit easier. My husband
was diagnosed late Sept. 2013 w stage 3 liver cancer. I see him withering away. He sleeps alot now. Some appetite left. I know what to look forward too whether it  b graffic or not.
Have they checked his Amonia levels.My husband started the "confusion" episodes,(thats what we called it) "confused and halluciations".I read about it and mentioned it to Dr.s.His was elevated and they started him on Lactulose. helped alot
My mum was diagnosed with secondary liver cancer a few days ago.  They are unable to treat because the cancer is extremely aggressive and she is also on anti rejection drugs for a kidney transplant she received a year and a half ago.  She has a number of other medical problems which have been on going for some years, but typically her new kidney is working perfectly!  She doesn't have much appetite and is starting to become more fatigued as the days go on.  Her abdomen is quite swollen and she is in some pain, but as yet not taking morphine.  She is at home and her Dr has prescribed steroids to try and give her an energy/appetite boost.  I live in New Zealand but my parents live in the UK, I plan on flying home in the next few days, but I am so worried it may be too late and I won't get the chance to say goodbye.  This whole thing has happened so quickly, going from relatively healthy to wondering how may days/week we have with her in less than 2 months.  I hope I make it home in time to tell her how much I love her and what an amazing mum and grandma she is in person.
Hi All. I'm 28 and my mother (63 last week) was diagnosed with colon cancer in November last year of which her colon operation successfully removed the tumors! Sadly it has spread to her liver, of which she has small modules in her lungs. Initially mum was given two years! Her first round of chemo gave positive scan results (liver tumors hadn't grown/lung modules had shrunk) however she suffered sickness and bowl movements which resulted in her losing 4 stone.  
I have been on compassionate leave the last three weeks from work, as like my brother and my older sister (32) has moved back from oz where she has been the last 7 years. I have seen great deterioration in mum and it breaks my heart. I am concerned she is going to die in pain. She constantly has a dry mouth, can no longer dress herself, and is spending more time in bed! This really is a horrible way for someone to go!! I can't imagine what to expect upon her death. We have been told today we have weeks left, and I can't get my head round how anyone can deal with such information, however she still remains positive!!
Can anyone give positive advise as to how we can make her most comfortable....? We have all the relevant drugs here as and when the time comes!
We have never been effect by cancer in the family before! My mums parents are both still alive in their late 90's and they are finding it hard to deal with it too! I don't want my mum to die, as their is so much more she wants to do..... See the future grand kids Etc.  
I don't want her to think that she is passing away!

God bless all of you!
God bless your mum! My prayers are with you! Sounds like we are going through exactly the same process! I hope you remain strong!!
Hi. My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer that mesatesized to her lungs and liver of Sept 2011.  She was only a candidate for chemotheropy.  This past Feb/ March(2013) her doctor took her off chemo treatment because of her severe allergic reactions.  About a month or so ago I noticed jaundice in her eyes and eventually in her skin.  She was itching and was complaining with stomach and back pain.  Her appetite has slowed down some and started swelling in feet and legs.  We found out last week from Ct scan her liver has a large mass.  Doctors want to implant a stint into her liver to drain the waste of bilirubin but can't until the lesion is smaller.  Her body is full of bile waste!!!  Dr haven't said surgery yet but I know it will come too.  As of now the doctors want to do radiation theropy to the liver.  All of this to just give her more chemotheropy.  I know it's been 2 years since initial diagnois but this is still hard to except.  I know what your thinking and feeling...... Helpless.   I know one day I too will hear the news of what could come.  I'm just holding my breath and praying like crazy every moment.  My mom is my best friend.  God bless you in your journey as well.  And may God give your mom the peace she needs.
I'm praying for you to win your battle with cancer,did you hear about ****** thearpy,?it's non-conventional therapy and  proved its success in treating even the end stage cancer,read about it and go for it,there is nothing to lose.i believe there will be always hope.
Azza
What the therapy called please
My father passed away two days ago and while i am so distraught (I'm 35 and 6 months pregnant, and many say even more emotional that i would normally be) he is at peace. I am amazed by the end of life experience we had with him, in a way i think it will haunt me but i also feel so so fortunate. I have been researching as to anyone else has had such an experience and what it was like etc.

My 66 year old father fell into a coma for two days (he had stage four prostate cancer when he was diagnosed and became seriously ill two years after diagnosis, a month ago we found out he had secondaries in other parts of his bones and his liver), but after keeping watch for two days and sitting up with him during the night, myself, my mother and his sister who had flown over from Sydney were all chatting in his room with a cup of tea and talking about the news in the papers that day, while dad continued to sleep. We had cried and cried but were having a moment of calm chatter. I tried to get my pregnant self comfortable and wedged by feet onto the side of his bed and went to open a book, then I saw his eyes open and gaze at me. I motioned to get my mum and Aunt over.. and we stroked him, sprayed some mouth moistener into his open mouth (as we were advised during the coma) then he tried to say something (but he couldn't) and ry and smile. I told him how much we loved him and how special he was. And the name I would give my child if it is a boy - with his name as its middle name. And that we knew he would watch us. Then his breathing slowed right down and he drifted away. As sad as we were we were all so moved, and continue to feel so lucky. I just think that we could have all been making our tea in the kitchen, or I may not have been in the chair next to where he was facing and saw him opened his eyes. I'm so so sad but happy he is at peace after six - nine months of intense pain.
Have strength and please make your loved one feel as comfortable, relaxed and loved as possible.

if anyone else has has such a similar experience i would love to hear.
Bronwyn x
A VERY CLOSE FRIEND OF MINE IS IN LATE STAGE LIVER CANCER,HE HAS HIS GOOD DAYS AND HIS BAD DAYS,HES TOUGH AND HANGIN ON IN THERE,NOW HIS EYES ARE SLOWLY TURNIN YELLOW AND HES ITCHING MORE.......BUT HES A FIGHTER& MAY GOD CONTINUE TO NE WITH HIM.....
Hi my father in law has been told he has pancreatic cancer, which in in his liver and gullet as well, he was told on Dec 16th they have told him he had tumour level of 460, they said they will start some chemo in new year after xmas? he had told them he didnt want times or dates about how long he has left. Can anyone tell me is it likely they know he will die within 2 weeks and they have told him treatment will start in new year to give him hope while he is dying?? I feel i have to know so i can support my husband and prepare my children also. If anybody can tell me anything it would be help, xmas is almost upon us but no xmas spirit here just very heavy hearts x
Hi what has happened to your father since this post I know it was 2008. I am sorry I hear I assume he has passed away. I am wondering because my mother is in similar way. She was told she had bowel cancer in March this year had surgery in April one week after it was discovered, it is now in the
Liver and will soon commence chemo. Can you tell me what to expect
My dad had colon cancer, and spread to liver. They can't give him treatment like chemo, instead, they removed the colon cancer 6/12 ago.  He is jaundiced, and has been for the last few months. He hiccups a lot, and falls asleep when he sits down after a few minutes. It's been like that for 2 months.  He gets frustrated as to why he keeps dozing off. We try and keep  his mind off of things. He likes to be active, pottering about. We don't know what to expect. He is losing weight. His appetite is not great either. I'm so sad, and struggle to get my head around it. I still think he is in denial. Even though there is no hope, I don't think having this reinforced by visits to the hospital or hospice helps either, he gets very down after these visits. so day by day we try and take his mind off things. We don't know what to expect. Can anyone out there recognise these symptoms, and were they early on, or later?I need to be prepared. I need to take this on my shoulders, so that I can reassure my dad as things progress, and make sure he has pain relief in place,thank you.
I'm sorry to hear your dad is battling this dreaded disease. You might also try to post in the Cirrhosis of the Liver Community as well. I realize your father likely doesn't have cirrhosis. But the Community leader there, named Hector, has battled it personally as well, and maybe able to provide you with some unique insights to help you understand your father's battle. Take care.
My husband has been on liver transplant list for what seems like an eternity.  The past month or so he has exhibited such things as vomiting, sleeping more of the day and night away, his motor skills are slower, he gets so tired he mutters and you can't understand him.  I'm not sure but I think his liver is in end stage and is shutting down.  It was worse for me - I see him getting worse and no one else does.  I don't want to lose him.  I find myself doing nothing but asking him if he's okay - we have only been married 13 years (today) and I don't want to lose him!!!  
I've been reading all the posts here to help me see where my mom is at with her inoperable liver cancer and from what I've read, she's very near the end of her battle.  She's vomiting blood, wandering in the night, confused, little appetite, sleeps a lot.  sounds so familiar to all the previous messages and I was hoping to see something different.  She's a young 63 and has been on a trial drug called sorafenib as her treatment.  I find it almost debilitating to know what to do for her other than visit with her, we live a bit of a distance and when I talked to her on the phone she would tell me everything is going well but then when I visit her I would see that's not true, so I've opted to take compassionate leave. At least I can be with her and help my step dad who is very angry at this situation and only seeing what this is doing to him and his future which makes matters worse.  Nothing has made me feel more helpless than this experience of watching my mom go downhill so quickly and try to ease her suffering. Thank you all for your candid, heartfelt and honest posts, no one is ever alone and I appreciate the sharing, it has certainly helped me during this difficult time.