Cancer Community
Enlarged nontender lymph nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Enlarged nontender lymph nodes

I have been having a bit of neck pain for about a year and just assumed it was from sore muscles.  About three months ago I was putting lotion on my throat and felt a lump.  I examined it and it appeared to be a lymph node, right side, possibly the anterior cervical chain or the jugular chain (not sure if those are the same things, but it was between the middle of my throat and the right side muscle in my neck.  As I gingerly felt of it I noticed it wasn't just one lymph node but an actual enlarged cluster of lymph nodes.  If I turned my head to the left and tilted it back just a little, the nodes would visible show from under the skin.  They are very hard to the touch and over the past three months have gotten slightly bigger.  I began having shooting pains from my neck to my clavicle when I turn my head a certain way and also a bit of chest pain when inhaling deep breaths.  I haven't been sick in quite some time but I went to the doctor and he told me to wait and see if it went away in three months.  Well, it is still there and much more noticeable.  They actually feel harder and closer to the surface of the skin.  I have also been having night sweats for about six months, though I assumed that was from my hormonal imbalance due to PCOS.  The lymph nodes are not at all painful, but do feel like they are stuck together, so that it seems as if it is one giant structure running down the right front side of my neck... its really weird.  I don't know if this is related, but I am also broken out in tiny red bumps all over my body, some of them look like blood spots but others are raised and itchy.  There are also numerous small brownish-red spots that are tiny and dot my arms and legs.  Okay, so none of this may be connected at all, but if anyone has any suggestions as to what this sounds like, I'd appreciate any insight.  I am seeing my GP on Wednesday, but plan to make an appt with an ENT doc as soon as I can get in to see him.  Thanks.
I was a bit concerned about these symptoms having similarities with the symptoms pertaining to HIV and had a rapid HIV test today, result negative, just to make sure that the symptoms weren't somehow related to HIV.

You need to consult an ENT specialist for a clinical evaluation or even see your doctor for an examination. You most probably have swollen lymph nodes due to infection of the upper respiratory tract.

You would need a course of antibiotics, pain relief medications and oral antihistamines. Try some steam inhalation and warm saline gargles and see if it helps.

Has a needle aspiration or FNAC of the lymph nodes been done? This involves taking some cells from the site of lymph node enlargement for lab analysis.

Talk to your doctor about this - this should help to reach a diagnosis.

Let us know what your doctor says.

Keep us posted on how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
Hello.  I am seeing the ENT doctor today.  I haven't had any kind of tests prior to today's visit and not sure if he will even do anything for the initial visit.  The lymph nodes on the left side of my neck are now enlarging, very hard just like the ones on the right and I have found a knot on the back of my head as well, a little above the hairline on the right side.  I am pretty worried, but mostly I am afraid the doctor will brush me off and tell me its nothing, or he will prescribe some antibiotics and send me on my way.  I may be a little bit of a hyperchondriac, but I never go this overboard with anything... there has to be something wrong, who knows what it is... I just hope the doctor takes me seriously and finds out what is causing this.  I'll post this afternoon after my visit and let you know what he says... The thing that has me a bit scared is the night sweats... but I'm keeping a positive outlook for now... surely its something minor!
Well, the doctor felt of the lymph nodes and said that even though they are enlarged that nothing is wrong... I was left feeling a bit like I had wasted $35 on a copay for nothing, but maybe I am just overreacting.  He said that because I have a "skinny" neck that the lymph nodes are more noticeable... Well, I am 29 and they were never this noticeable before.  He didn't order any blood tests nor did he seem the least bit concerned that they could be swollen from an infection, so he didn't prescribe any meds.  He did admit that they were enlarged though, so at least I'm not just imagining things.  The knot on the back of my head is very tender now and I have a bit of a headache, but maybe its all stress related... Anyhow, he told me to come back in six weeks so that he could make sure that the nodes were not getting any bigger.  I am seeing my GP at the end of this month and will most likely ask for blood work just to be on the safe side.  I just have a feeling that these doctors see so many patients that they just blow off things like swollen lymph nodes.  He actually checked my throat for signs of throat cancer, though I have not had a sore throat in years and had no complaints as far as my throat goes... oh well, I will just assume he knows more than I do (he is the doc after all) and hope that everything is well!  

You should relax and get a review with your specialist when advised.

You could also talk to your physician about this and clear your doubts.

The doctor is right about lymph nodes being more palpable in thin patients.

You need not worry and just report any other symptoms or any increase in size that you notice to your doctor.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have nay doubts.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Thanks.  I do need to relax, that is for sure.  I just don't think its normal for these lymph nodes to be so big and so hard, but I will just make sure it doesn't affect my ability to breath or swallow and try not to worry about it.  I hope to have blood work done at the end of this month and I think that my GP will want to run tests concerning these nodes.  I will let you know what the results are.  Thanks for reading my posts and responding!!

Glad the posts were of some help to you.

We would be very eager to know the update in regards to your symptoms and also about the results.

Do keep us posted.

Regards.