Cancer Community
Enlarged submental lymph node

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Enlarged submental lymph node

Hello.

Yesterday I noticed that my submental lymph node (midline under the chin at the anterior portion of the neck about 1cm in from the mandible) is somewhat enlarged.  I think it's about ~1cm and maybe a little larger, it's hard to gauge accurately through the skin.  It's palpable with light pressure.  It isn't soft nor does it feel like a rock beneath the skin.  It is definitely firm.  It's hard to tell if it's movable or not.  I am very worried this could be lymphoma.

I do have a sore like a big pimple or boil on my upper left lip that has slowly been healing over the past 5 days or so.  About 3 days ago it was quite inflamed but that has gone down considerably.  My throat has also been slightly scratchy for a few days but no pain, coughing, or other symptoms.  For the past 4 nights or so I woke in the morning with a very dry mouth, but this has abated.  My throat is still a little scratchy, though.

I have not had other symptoms such as weight loss, night sweats, or itching.

How long should I wait to go to the doctor for this node?  Could the (probably infected) sore on my UPPER lip cause this node to swell? How fast does lymphoma grow?  

I have tried a warm compress to reduce the size of this node, however it seems to be the same size as it was last night.  I have checked but found no other enlarged nodes.

I have a vacation coming up in 3 weeks and I do not want to have to worry about this while I'm trying to enjoy myself.
Forgot to add that I'm male, 31 years old, and in pretty good health.  I had a colonoscopy about 3 months ago and everything was fine.  As part of the colonoscopy they did blood work (CBC) and said all my levels were roughly the same as 4 years ago.
Hi!
Yes, the lip boil and sore throat together could have caused the swollen lymph node. It is unlikely to be anything serious as your blood works were fine. The swollen lymph node may at times take more than a month to completely go down. Since, you have a holiday coming up and do not want to be worried about this, please show this to your doctor to ease your mind. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you, doctor!