Cancer Community
Family History (Many Cancers)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Family History (Many Cancers)

My family history is pretty scary. My 1st uncle died from kidney failure, my 2nd uncle died from liver cancer recently. On my dad's side, my grandfather died from diabetes. I wonder how does this affect me, and what are the precautions I have to take to ensure a healthy life. In terms of checkups, what should i be focusing on?

I have been diagnosed with HPV recently, and am at a risk of getting cervical cancer. I will have LEEP done soon. And in terms of gynae-related issues, the doctor told me to closely monitor my pap smears (once/6 months). This I am prepared to do, but just based on my family's history, I am getting paranoid about other issues as well. Please advise! Thank you!
Ok.  Dont worry be happy:)  Kidney failure can occur to anyone for a number of reasons.  Unless there is a family history of Kidney Failure I wouldn't worry about that at all.  Does High Blood Pressure run in family, that can cause kidney failure; also being black has greater chance too.  Having type 1 diabetes is hereditary and that can cause kidney failure.  Type 2 diabetes can also, but it is not hereditary.  That is more related the foods we eat, how much we eat and how our body processes  insulin.  Cervical cancer with a positive HPv is a possibility, not a certainty, a POSSIBILITY.  I do not know what LEEP is, so ask your GYN doctor to explain to you the "cancer" terrors you have and tell the dr to honest with you.