Cancer Community
Father has Bladder Cancer
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Father has Bladder Cancer

Hello,

My father was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer. He is 52 years old and smoked about 7 cigarettes a day, however he has quit smoking since he found out about the cancer. He is also NOT in very good shape. A year and a half ago, my fathers urologist informed him of a strange red bump on his bladder and scheduled a follow-up 3 months later. My father never went to the follow-up and ignored the bump. He noticed his first visible signs of blood in his urine about 6 months ago. My father has an enlarged prostate and thought the swelling from the prostate was causing the bleeding, so he ignored the blood in the urine. 6 months later, he paid another visit to his urologist and was told he had bladder cancer. That being said, it seems likely that the bladder cancer has developed over a span of a year and a half.

My father just went through with a trans urethral resection (TUR) today, and the doctor has informed us that it is an aggressive cancer. Thats all he told us, and the biopsy (?) will not be finished until next Thursday.

My question is, at this point, whether or not it is possible to get a diagnoses as to what stage the cancer is currently in. Also, would removal of the bladder be a viable solution, given the pretenses (or is that too radical of a step)? If the bladder was to be removed, is it possible for my father, at his age, to use his intestines to create a natural pouch for the urine? Lastly, what would be the recommended steps for him to take?