Cancer Community
Found a spot on lung what is next?? Both Drs running around each other...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Found a spot on lung what is next?? Both Drs running around each other

I have just been told that after my chest xray and ct scan that I have a spot on my lung.  The way I get informed is from my Drs receptionists,I am completely blown away.  Both my family dr and gynie have these girls calling me and then stating "how important it is to have another ct scan in 3 months.  My question is why in 3 months and both say that the radiolgist suggest that.  I AM SO SCARED!! Should I go to another Dr who specializes in this field, and if so what kind of DR's are they called?  I have great insurance, I currently feel like I am just a number and cannot believe how this was handled.

I now go to the internet to find out my answers for all of my questions!! Am I wrong for feeling like this has been handled poorly.

I smoke and have to stop I know but what else should I do??

Thanks for the time
I'm sorry for the way you were communicated this information, it's too bad, that was pretty insensitive.

Nonspecific changes on a chest xray and chest cat scan is a common reason for a 3 month follow-up scan.  Nonspecific means that the particular appearance of a specific diagnosis was not found.

If the spot had a specific appearance like cancer or infection, they'd tell you about it, and do something about it.

With your level of concern, it's worthwhile to get an explanation of your symptoms in person with the physicians you've already seen.  A second opinion is reasonable to seek, but without specific changes on the ct scan, another opinion may not give you much more information.

Enoch Choi, MD
I have used this site (and others) to gain more information.  This site is wonderful and every one is helpful.  You shouldn't feel bad about it.

I also have a spot on my lung.  They are waiting 6 weeks with mine.  I also had Breast Cancer found this summer but this should not be linked.  Not sure why mine is 6 weeks and yours is 3 months.  However, I have a wonderful Oncologist who knows how scared I am - this might be the case.

I also have had a few calls from nurses but also I have had calls from doctors.  I really valued that they called me.  My experience - a call from the doctor is bad news.  Let's hope you have no bad news.

You might call back and ask questions.  This is what I do when I need more answers.  Just call and ask for a call back.  The nurse should call back and you should list off all your questsions.  Make a list so you are prepared.

After my Oncolgist found my lump he sent me to a Lung Doctor for review.  You might ask them if they call refer you to a lung doctor.  The lung doctor reviewed the information and then they tried a bronscopy to try to get a sample to test.  Mine was too small and the test did not work.  Spent a lot of money for nothing.  You might ask for a biopsy.

Good luck.  
Thank you everyone for your quick replies!! I have spoken with my Dr and now he states that I should go to a lung Dr, I cannot go until I stop smoking which I am currently on Chantix so hopefully soon I stop completely.  You cannot go to a lung Dr smoking, what an insult. (Can you help me while I smoke!!)  I feel so much better reading these threads   My poor husband has gone thru the mill on this one with me.  
Once again THANK YOU TO ALL Your support is outstanding and may God bless all of you
I hope that you can stop smoking soon.  I am sure that it is hard.  I never wanted to smoke, since I had a grandma pass away when she was 40.  She did right before I was born with lung cancer.  I guess she smoked unfiltered camels since she was 13.  She had very bad cancer and it was very hard on my dad.  I never wanted to smoke because of all of this.  Lung cancer runs on my dad's side.  Smoking to me always felt like a death plan that I didn't want to sign up for.

I really do hope you can stop.  I can help you keep your mind off if needed.  I am trying to do the same until my next appointment on the 2nd.  Last night my husband told me that maybe I need a second oppinion or to have my lump looked at sooner...this was all said because of the new scar with Elizabeth Edwards.  He has been so strong about this and told me not to worry and I was crazy that it was cancer.  Now that he heard about hers returning it scared him a little.  

How old are you?  Do you have children?  How long have you smoked?  How are you trying to stop smoking?  Does you hubby or other close family or friends smoke?  Do you have close support to stop smoking?
sorry to disagree with the doc but I'm not getting a good feeling about your doctor.  How insensitive to have somebody just call with news like that, he should have at least been the one to call, if not call you to talk in person. I'd deffinitly get a new doc., a lung guy. It might be nothing or it might be something & if it's something you don't want mess around twiddling your thumbs. go now. when I got nowhere with private doctors I went to ER & that's where they found ovarian cancer! You have to care for yourself & don't take no for an answer. Don't let them tell you you're jumping the gun or that you're getting all worked up over nothing. How do they know, they haven't done the test to determine that yet have they? Okay doc do the tests & we'll see who's right ( & maybe it'll turn out to be nothing & you can let the doc gloat & say I told you so & go happily on with your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
I have quit smoking today, Mammo just called now they have 2 spots have to go in (more testing)

Thank you all, the support is great

Now I make an appointment with the lung doc (since I am not smoking anymore)

Yes I am looking into a new Dr

Thanks again

Julie
Good new about the no longer smoking.  It really is the best thing for you overall!!!!!!!!!

Scary that they found a second one.  As I already mentioned I have a lump that they are watching.  Just the other day I noticed several swollen lymph nodes.

I had many infection and baterial test done - sometimes lumps are caused by scars - make sure they tests for these or ask them about testing????

Also, I had a bronscopy (easy test but they spray this stuff in your throat that is gross hope if you have it, that stuff tastes better for you) and it was easy and not a big deal.  They can easily get the lump this way (hopefully, my lump was too far away to reach and this test was a failure.  Still glad I did it.  Now, if we need to test it I know we have to cut me to get it out.)

Good luck ang God bless!
I was just told I have a spot on my right lung, after having a CT. I have to go back in 4 months.I am so scard.How can they drop something like this on you, and tell you not to worry?The things that are going through my mind. I stop smoking 21 years ago.
I HAD STAGE FOUR CERVICAL CANCER IN 2008 WENT THREW CHEMO AND RADIATION NOW THEY FOUND A SMALL MASS ON MY LUNG COULD THAT ALSO BE CANCER IT WORRIES ME