Cancer Community
Hard, bony lump on rib?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Hard, bony lump on rib?

I recently went to the doctor because of some pain I was having on the right half of my rib cage and my back. I was diagnosed with costochondritis (inflammation of the cartilage in the rib cage, caused by sever coughing, getting hit, even laughing) and I was put on a steroid to reduce the swelling. One evening I was massaging my aching side when I came across a lump on one of my ribs...I had never noticed it before. It's hard and smooth, and it feels like it's part of the rib, but it kind of sticks out, and it's not on my other side. It's not visible, I have to feel for it, but it is definitely noticeable. I went back to the doc to get it checked out, and she felt of it and said that "it feels like part of your rib". I had also had some x-rays done earlier that week for the costochondritis, and she looked at those and said that they were fine...and that if it were cancer it would most likely show up as bone deterioration.

But despite this, it still has me very worried, because in all my internet searches, I can't find a cause for it other than some kind of horrible cancer...I don't have any of the telltale symptoms for cancer (night sweats, rapid weight loss, loss of apatite, bruising, anemia, fatigue, high fever, nausea, vomiting, etc) but the lump is to large to ignore. It's probably about the size of a quarter, maybe a half dollar. The lump seems to be confined to just one rib. Oh, and it's not really painful to the touch, but it's hard to tell, because I've been poking at it so much.

Does anybody know what it could be? Do ribs sometimes just grow like that? I'm a 17 year old male, by the way, and something of a hypochondriac.

Thanks in advance,
~Connor
What you described almost sounds exactly what my mom recently had. Last year, about 1/2 way through her chemotherapy, she felt a hard solid lump on her rib, just below her right breast. It didn't seem to hurt her unless she pressed or tried to squeeze it. But, it was quite visible and she was clearly concerned by the timing of it's appearance (during chemotherapy) and growth (it grew to about the size of a quarter in circumference). Her oncologist examined this "nodule" (that's what he called it). And, noted that it didn't show up on her CT scan or PET scan. So, he was didn't know if it was related to her Cancer or the chemotherapy. He suggested that she have her surgeon biopsy it. Well, before it could be biopsied it began to shrink and it is now gone. Other than it it being called a "nodule," we never got an answer as to the nature of its appearance or an explanation for its peculiar disappearance. Hopefully, yours will disappear too. Good luck!
I'm a 17 year old hypochondriac too. I have a small lump on my rib cage && i'm quite scared. I haven't gone to the doc but..should i be worried?
What happened with your lump? My husband has the same thing and I'm trying to figure it out. (Won't have insurance until January). Hope that you found out what it was/is.
I have a lump on the left hand side of my rib, i didnt notice it until i seen a bruise that randomly appeared without even banging myself. I have been doctors and had to have a blood test done, just awaiting results.Im worried to.
What did you ever find out?  I have the same thing develop after a soccer injury.  Hope you get this and can respond.
About a year and a half ago I found a hard bump on the left hand side of my bottom rib. It feels like a hard knob. It is on the bottom and you can almost grab it. At first, you had to search for it, and couldn't  see it with the naked eye. The other day though as I was getting dressed I realized that the bump is now very visible and has definitely grown. When I first noticed the bump, I went to the doctor. She said that I shouldn't be worried about it unless it grew or starting causing me pain. Well it has grown. The weird thing is that it didn't show up on the x-ray that the technician took (there were two angles that she took). I then got an ultra sound and they honestly didn't care. They told me to not worry about it and that it's probably just a weird cartilage bump.

To sum up:
1. growing bump on rib
2. feels like bone
3. didn't show up on x-ray
4. visible increase in growth in a little more than a year.

I am a young adult if that matters. Thank you so much! Any input at all is greatly appreciated.
I have the same thing a large hard lump on my right lower rib cage in the back. It has been there for some time and I noticed it larger than it used to be. I don't have any other symptoms so im not sure if I should worry.  
Hi, I was wondering if you ever found out what your lump was?  My 3 year old son has a hard lump on his lower left rib cage and I am starting to get worried.  It doesn't seem to cause him any pain.  We had an X-ray done and came back negative.  We are scheduled for a ultrasound next week..I feel that it is a really long time to wait.  I'm hoping you received some resolution and everything is well.  Can you let me know?