Hard, painless oblong lump under skin on calf
My boyfriend showed me a hard, oblong lump underneath the skin of his leg near the calf area. I am very concerned because I have no idea what it is or if it is cancerous. He is turning twenty one next month and I don't want him worried before his birthday or really stressing out ( he has anxiety issues) but I really think this needs immediate medical attention. There is no pain or swelling around it and it is not noticeable at all unless you touch it. He has another lump just like it on his other leg but no others anywhere else on his body. I am so worried for him because he has had these for about a year I am assuming. What do you think this could be and should I be worried? I am going to try and get him to see a doctor as soon as possible it is just hard because we are a young couple ( 19 and 20) pretty much living on our own and he is not insured. I am hoping my doctor that I always see under my parents insurance will see him for cheaper or free since I have been going there for years and this is serious. Please give me some advice this is the love of my life and I am scared to death.
jennifer
Pum
Hi there,

I'm not a doctor but I don't really think this is likely to be anything serious mainly due to his age, where the lumps are and the fact that he has more than one. They could be dermatofibromas so have a read about those. There are other benign causes for lumps so try not to get too worried. Of course he should mention them to his doctor next time he's visiting and if they grow or he gets anymore he should get them checked out straight away.

Take care.