Cancer Community
Hard Lump on Chin Bone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Hard Lump on Chin Bone

A few days ago, I went to rest my chin on my hand, and I noticed a vague bruise-like pain just under my chin.  When I touched just under my chin, seemingly attached to the right side of the chin bone, just to the right of that center line where the two sides of the lower jaw meet, I felt a very hard, immobile bump.  It will not budge---I've pressed on it with all my might from each side and from straight up; it's hard as bone, but I cannot tell if it's definitely attached to the jaw/chin. I can feel a bit of space between it and the right jaw bone, but it's harder to feel the top where it meets the tip of my chin.  My chin does not appear swollen at all.  It's still tender to touch, it hurts a bit without even pressing on it now, but I feel that could be due to how much I've been applying pressure.  Otherwise, it doesn't really hurt as a swollen gland would, and it won't move.  It seems to be a bit ovular in shape, protruding out from the tip of my chin, back into the hollow space between the jaw bones.  What could this be?  I'm a 25-year-old female and healthy.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
First,there are many nodes under the chin because face has lots of blood and lymph vessels and anything that appears on the face,for example an acne,can produce a reaction of lymph node(s)under chin.
If you have viral or bacterial infection,lymph nodes may enlarge and in most cases they are painfull when you palpate them.
You should calm down and stop thinking about that lymph node,but if it stays enlarged and becomes bigger and firmer,you should consult your doctor.Take care!
Thank you for your response.  I've had swollen lymph nodes before and this does not feel like one.  I don't think it's possible for it to get any firmer; it almost feels like a bone malformation, but I don't think it's attached to the jaw/chin, at least not superficially where I can feel it.  And if it is, it's almost as thought it's "eaten into" the right jaw/chin bone because of it's position.  Of course I hope it is an infected, benign lymph node, but it's not the same as my experience with those.  I was wondering if there were any other possible options.  Thank you!
Jess, did you figure out what it was?
I had a CT scan performed with dye. They said it was a unenlarged lymph node, but offered no real explanation for how hard and fixed it is. Since I posted this, the node has begun to move a little more and it seems to be reactive--it swells and then shrinks back down to its normal size. It hasn't grown at all. All this leads me to feel that it's probably just a shotty lymph node, but I do monitor it, especially now that I have thyroid issues.
Thanks for replying.  Curiously, I too have thyroid issues (nodules).  I am not sure if mine is a lymph node, it almost feels almost like a bone overgrowth but I haven't done any imaging tests.  Same location.
Hello!  Thank you so much for posting this!  I had the *exact* same experience a couple of days ago, and you described the lump I felt perfectly.  Any further progress?  DId your doctors show any concern?  
I have a bone like lump under my chin on the right side its attached on the jaw bone and it doesnt move, i first noticed it about 9 years ago, now I have alittle pain around its not painful if pressed against it, I dont know what it is.
Jess I am so glad you posted this and more so that I found this. I have the EXACT same thing wrong with me and I found it by going to rest my chin on my hand one day. Same thing it seems hard almost like a bone malformation tender when I am messing with it and does swell little from time to time. I just noticed this a month ago... I am going to do some more research and go have it looked at when I get health insurance from my new job. I am the same though.. healthy, fit and active 28 year old female.

Thank you again for posting this and your follow up really helps.
Im 16 nd i fot a lump that i just notices this morning