Cancer Expert Forum
Hard immovable lump in lumbar region of back

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

I have had a hard, immovable lump deep in my skin (that is, it's not visible by the naked eye, it can only be palpated) in my lumbar region of my lower back (to the right of my spine).  I estimate it is about 1 inch in diameter and it is painless.  It feels smooth and regularly shaped (feels somewhat domed and circular, like a tennis ball).  I have had this lump for almost a year now and I'm almost positive it has NOT increased in size.

I have no other symptoms.  I will say this lump is situated in a roll of fat.  I'm 5'7" and 210 (have gained about 20 pounds in the last three years) so I do have plenty of fat in this region and am hoping it is a benign lipoma.

I have had recent (within three months) blood tests and all were fine (except for high triglycerides which has been an ongoing issue, and I expected this in the tests).  I don't have diabetes or any other chronic condition.  I've also had a sonogram of my abdomen (gallbladder, liver, etc) within three months as well a a CT scan of that area and all was normal.

What could this be?  I really hope it's not the big "C" -- If I've had this lump for so long now without it growing larger and no symptoms, isn't that a good sign it's NOT cancer?
It is good that the lump on your back has not grown in the last several months.
However, if it is hard and immovable, you must show it to a doctor right away.
A lipoma is a soft to firm easily movable, slippery mass under the skin.
All the best, and God Bless!
Actually, I did show it to a doctor and she immediately realized it was a lipoma!  She said she had some of them too.  In her opinion, she said it WAS rather moveable.  She said she wasn't worried about it.

I am relieved!
Good to hear that!
Please keep this under regular surveillance (maybe annually).
Good Luck!
A related discussion, Firm mass was started.