Cancer Community
Hemangioma???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Hemangioma???

Hi, i am a 31 year old female who has had upper LEFT abdominal pain for a couple of months. I went to a gastro and he ordered routine bloodwork to check the liver and pancreas and an abdominal ultrasound. These both came back normal. He wanted to order a HIDA scan next, but since i am breatfeeding this is not an option for me. At my insistance he ordered an abdominal CT. I will summarize the results: "There are two 7mm lesions in the right hepatic lobe. One in the anterolateral and one more posteriorly. They are almost identical. They are of low attenuation but each demonstrates apparent small internal nodular enhancement which projects in a relativley hypodense thin walled lesion. The liver is otherwise unremarkable. No intra or extra hepatic biliary ductal dilation. The gallbladder, spleen, pancreas, bilatieral adrenal glands and kidneys are all unremarkable. etc... bowles and lymphnodes all unremarkable. These lesions may be on the basis of small hemangiomas. Alternative diagnostic considerations include metastatic lesions or infectious(parasitic) lesions." I picked up the report myself from records at the hospital which it was preformed. So far all my doctor has done is have the nurse call me and schedule a follow up for next week. So in the mean time i am terrified. I looked up hemangioma and i realize that this is a benign tumor. But my question is how likely is this based on this report? Is a ct with contrast a reliable way to distinguish between benign and malignant lesions? Furthermore, i noticed that the radiologist acknowledged that they could be "metastatic". Doesnt this imply that they would some kind of secondary lesions? Meaning even if they were malignant they would not be "liver cancer" but metastisized from some other organ or part of the body? How can they tell this from a ct? Why would they automatically assume that it is not liver cancer with no other tumors present? I actually have a first cousin who is 34 and has never been a drinker and does NOT have hepatitis and has stage 4 liver cancer. Also it is important to not that 8 months ago i had both a contrast enhanced abdominal and chest ct to evaluate for lymphoma. I had enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and a tumor in my tonsel, plus i had severe night sweats and signifigant weight loss over several months. Both ct's came back completely normal and the biopsy of the tonsel tumer came back normal. So my other question is what are the chances of two "hemangioma's" growing from undetectable" to two 7mm lesions in 8 months? For that matter does cancer grow that quickly. I also had severe diareah at the same time i was having the other symptoms eith months ago and had a normal colonoscopy and endoscopy. All of my symptoms eventually subsided after about 6 weeks duration with the exception of the abdominal pain. Which is was brought me back to the doctor a few weeks ago and ultimatley led to the ct. And finally, i do not mean to ramble, but as i noted in the very beginning my pain presents on the LEFT side. This is basically inconsistant with the ct findings whether it is cancer, hemangioma, or even simply a poorly functioning gallbladder(the docs original hypothesis) isnt it? there is really nothing in the upper left abdomen except the splenn and the tail of the pancreas, correct??? Thank you in advance for any info you cou;d give. I am very nervous and scared. This will be the longest week of my life to wait. And i dont believe i will get any definative answers at my follow up either. Probably just more test.
I know you're scared, but there's nothing you can do right now. Think about the fact that all your results came back normal. There is no vascular invasion or lymphadenopathy, and that's good news.