Cancer Community
High Lymphocytes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

High Lymphocytes

My mother has been getting blood tests for a high lymphocyte count. Her numbers have gone up since the last time she was there and has to get another blood test. Her WBC (white blood cell) count was 6.4 and it has gone down to 5.4 but her lymphocytes have gone up, from 48% to 55% in 6 months. She is in her 50s and weighs 216 pounds. She did have a bad cold a few weeks before, can that be the cause? Can someone tell me what this means? Could it be cancer? Could it be CLL? Is watchful waiting the right thing to do? Could the 7% jump in 6 months mean that it could be acute? What should we do now? She has had the elevated lymphocytes for many years but never with such a large jump. Please help, I am very worried! Thank you!

How are you?
Lymphocytes can increase in numbers due to many reasons. The most common causes are viral infections like infectious mononucleosis, cytomegalovirus infection, respiratory syncytial virus which causes common cold. In all probability the elevated lymphocytes are due to common cold that she has right now.
So right now since she has no other symptoms like loss of appetite, weight loss, easy fatigability, watchful waiting will be the right thing to do.
Do keep a check on the counts though, hopefully when the cold clears up completely the counts will return to normal.
Do keep us posted!
Thank you so much for your reply! The cold she had was actually a few weeks before she had the blood test that showed the high lymphocytes. Do you think that can still be the cause? It was a bad cold but she was recovered when she had the blood test. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again for your post!