High SGOT and SGPT in a one year old boy with G6PD
hello. When my son is nearly 5 months his BCG was still alive and the doctor gave him Kidz KIT treatment for six months. After taking the medicine for 5 months the doctor saw her skin is yellowish especially the palm and the back but his liver wasn't enlarged nor his eyes isn't yellowish. He was advised to have SGOT and SGPT and the lab test result is SGPT 68.00 and SGOT 92.9. He is a G6PD baby and I was worried if he has hemolitic anemia already. Can someone explain the implication of high SGOT and SGPT to a G6PD baby? Thanks for ur answer..

Raised liver enzymes in a G6PD baby with pale palms does raise the suspicion of hemolysis. A raised LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) and a low level of haptoglobin will help in diagnosing hemolysis. I would suggest you to please discuss this with your child’s pediatrician and get these tests done as soon as possible.

Thanks for the reply..

His Pediatrician told me that the test is not accurate because there is a remark on the lab result taht says that teh blood id "hemolysis" that is why the result of SGOT and SGPT is high. She advised me to take no action and not to worry much. She gave as a request to redo the SGOt and SGPT after a month. Is that really teh case?

These SGOT and SGPT tests are fairly accurate. I think you need to take a second opinion with another pediatrician. The child needs to undergo a physical examination and also these tests should be repeated again soon.

Hi, I think you need to consult another pedia-hematologist. My son is also a G6PD baby.
hello, teh SGOt and SPGT has been retested and the result is normal. His Pedia wants to continue the Kids Kit medicine but worrying if he will get yellowish skin again.