Cancer Community
Inconclusive Biopsy - Still Diagnosed with Lymphoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

I was diagnosed on Thursday with Lymphoma. The type was not told me to me. My primary doc told me after the results of my PET scan. I had a  chest CT scan on May 7th because of an undefined lump on my chest near my shoulder. The CT showed that all of my lymph nodes were enlarged in chest and under my arm. The radiologist stated that it was lymphoma or some type of metastic disease. I had a biopsy of my lymph nodes from under my arm and it came back inconclusive. My primary doc showed me the preliminary results of the PET scan but I did not see anything about staging. Can you still have cancer with inclusive biopsy and normal blood levels????  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  The diagnosis of lymphoma in your case is a presumptive or working diagnosis, and not yet definitive.  A presumptive diagnosis is like a "worst-case-scenario" which the doctor attempts to prove or disprove by doing additional tests and gathering evidence.  The diagnosis may still change as more evidence comes in which either supports or refutes the original diagnosis.  The reason why your doctors still cannot give you information on the stage or type is probably because the diagnosis is not yet final without a positive biopsy result.  If a fine needle aspiration biopsy was initially done, and this came back inconclusive, a re-biopsy should be made.   But this time an attempt to gather more tissue samples should be done, which means either a core needle biopsy or an excision biopsy of any accessible nodes.  It may also help if two or more sites can be sampled.  For example, it would be better if samples can be taken from the armpit nodes, as well as the chest nodes (this would probably require CT guided aspiration biopsy).
I had a core needle biopsy. They took several samples yet it was inconclusive. Another place said they MIGHT do a needle biopsy,  but I read where the Mayo does core needle so by that and what you said and where several doctors' articles said the same,  I think it is more extensive. standing recommendation is wait and see if it grows or surgery risking chronic pain. Any words to me would be appreciated. I just want to know.  In the dark I'm wondering about natural tumor reduction via glutathione, mushrooms and other trial treatments. I know that isn't so wise but as a patient I'm scared and without a diagnosis I feel even more scared. I feel I have to be doing something to help myself. I just want to live.