Cancer Expert Forum
Information please

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

Information please

I'm female, 52 years old. In January 2009, I had a colonoscopy done and pre-cancerous cells were removed. Now I have to have the procedure done every 2 years. My liver is enlarged. I have gallstones and IBS-D and high-blood pressure.
I have been an alcoholic since a teenager, with the last 20 years of very heavy drinking, marijuana, and many prescription drugs. I abused Librium and parafan forte/codeine for about 10 years,  then clonazepam for about 6 years. My three adult children grew up watching this. They are aged 31,29 and 27.
Do I have to worry about cancer in their colons? Do they need to know? Will they need to do this procedure earlier in life and more often?
If yes, then I need some hard facts to present to them, how this could save their life, and it could be inherited.
What is the percentage be that's it's genetic and/or  alcohol/drug  induced?
Can you please provide me with information so that if I do need to inform my children I could do it with conviction.
Thank you very much for listening and for your help. Meyan
Tags: Cancer
Hi Meyan,
What was the exact diagnosis that you have received? Was a polyp removed? Was the colonoscopy and biopsy done for any specific symptom, or just as a routine? Are you still abusing alcohol, or any other substance?
Please post this additional information; then we can discuss about acceptable surveillance strategies for you and your family.
All the best, and God Bless!
Dear Doctor Saini,
Thank you for you response. To be able to provide all the answers you require I would have to make an appointment to see my doctor to ask these questions in person.
What I can tell you is I was experiencing upper abdominal pain.  My doctor preformed a endoscopy and the colonoscopy.
I have just spoken with his secretary, she could provide only partial information. The results were: sliding hiatus hernia, duodenitis, and a 3mm polyp was removed.
I am recovering from substance abuse with occasional relapse.
Please let me know if you do need more information.
I do so appreciate your concern and involvement. All the best and God Bless you too! Meyan
Hi Meyan,
Please update me when you find the exact histopathological diagnosis of the polyp. You need to get colonoscopies done at regular intervals. Do not worry too much about this.
Please seek prefessional help for deaddiction.
All the Best!
Dr Saini
Dear Dr. Saini,
     Just to let you know my appointment with my doctor in on the 17th of this month. Then I will be able to provide the update you are asking for.
Presently I am seeking professional help for my addiction.
Thank you for everything.
Meyan
I had a testicular biopsy two weeks ago.The doctor who treated me has reffered to an oncologist. From there CT scan(thorax and abdomen), blood test and bone marrow test were done a few days ago.The Ct ScaN result showed as follows
a) Enlarged paraaortic  nodes at the level of renal vesses, largest 1.1cm. NO other paraaorticor mesenteric adenopathy
b) NO mediastinal or hilar adenopathy.
c) Normal CT attenuation of both lungs, heart, pericardium, vascular structures, liver, gall bladder, spleen, pancreas, kidneys, adrenal glands,urinary bladder, uterus, stomach, bowel loops, vertebraes, bonesand soft tissues.

since the results of the bone marrow test will be available only on 18th, I request you to diagonise my problem at the earliest.
From your brief history, I am not sure if you have cancer at all. Your scan shows a few lymph nodes, for which there could be many causes. Why was the testicular biopsy done? Could you feel a lump? How long ago did the lump present? Was the entire testicle removed (high inguinal orchidectomy), or was a trans-scrotal biopsy taken?
Cancers that present with testicular and lymph node involvement include testicular tumor (with spread to lymph nodes of the abdomen) and lymphoma (with involvement of testes).
All the best!
I have a 3.5 cm mass on my leg about one inche directly below the knee. It is slightly purple-red in color. I have had it for 28 years ! I am 44. When I was about 20  a doc told me it was a vericose vein and to forget about it.
Its in a spot that is very prone to accidents and getting bumped. I remember all through the 90's hitting it and seeing stars. VERY painful. I would literally fall on the floor because it hurt so much with the slightest little tap.
It has been getting larger. I think I noticed the increased size a couple years ago.  
Again I showed a different doctor and he said it was a vein and posed no concern for a blod clot, which is what I was worried about.
It usually gurts moe in the evening, and I notice that when I wake in the morning it is smaller, softer and flatter.
It also gets very itchy some times.
Classic vericose vein symptoms/
Last week it was really throbbing so I went to a vascular lab to have a sonogram and vein study. The tech said its not a vein, but its a mass. Its part cycse as there is some liquid but its more solid and there is a blood supply so it a tumor. She called in the vascular surgeon to have a look. he pushed it and I saw stars. He said we need to biopsy. It measures 3.5 cm

So now I am a nervous wreck. What does this SOUND like? Cancer?
It is constantly inflamed and ulcerated in color. Its coming out next week, so I am not asking to avoid surgery.
I just want to try to put my mind at ease until I get the results.
I read that typically benign fatty tumors are soft and spongy. I THINK this is probably soft, but I cant put any pressure on it because its so painful. But its been painful like that for 20+ years, lol.
   . IF it is cancer what is the prognosis on these type of things?
A related discussion, Information Please was started.