Cancer Community
Is it possible for a 5 year old to have melanoma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

My 5 year old daughter had a small flat brown mole on her left shoulder when she was born. When she was about 3 it developed a small black dot inside of it. I waited until she was about 4.5 years old when at that point it had three small black dots inside of it when I mentioned it to her Dr. The Dr. said we would just wait and watch it. Well in less than a year the entire mole has turned black and is very slightly rough now. It is about 5 mm. across and not perfectly round. I have not called the Dr. back about it yet and was wondering if it is something I should be concerned about or not. I do not want to look crazy for taking her in to the Dr. for nothing but I don't want to mess around with something that might hurt her either. Is it normal for a mole to change over time or is this something I should alert the Dr. to? Thank you so much for any help you can offer on this.
A mole can change over time, but a mole that changes to that size and irregular border with changing color is one that needs to be examined by your daughter's pediatrician.

Dr. Enoch Choi, MD
Palo Alto, CA
My 10 year old is very fair skinned and has a lot of moles and freckles (even through her hair I can see them).  When I asked her pediatrician at last years visit about her moles she told me to take her to a dermatologist for a skin screening.  They went over her top to bottom and there was nothing suspicious.  The dermatologist said that melanoma in children is very rare but does occur.  Since she has so many moles/freckles the dermatologist suggested I bring her in every year to keep tabs on changes.  I think it would give you peace of mind to have her checked out.  My pediatrician was very willing to write a referral for a dermatologist.  Also, my daughters moles seem to increase in size as she grows.  I notice after every summer season there are more marks on her face especially and I am super diligent with the sunscreen.    
That's great that you bring your daughter in for yearly screening, that's a great idea.  It's important to do exactly what you do -- be super diligent with the sunscreen and lay it on thick!
I would take her to be checked out.  Better safe than sorry.  One of my dear friend's two year old boy had a mole on his foot.  She took him to the Dr. and it was dismisssed as harmless.  However, the mole became bothersome, shoe rubbing it, etc. So for his comfort, it was removed.  The pathology came back Stage 3 Melanoma and he was immediately sent to St. Jude's hospital in Memphis.  He had treatment for over a year and continues to go back several times a yr.  His doctors were very shocked and saddended by this diagnosis.  He is in 2nd grade now and healthy, thanks to St. Judes and a worried mom!
That's a good idea.  It's always good to get checked.
well u should bug that doctor dont let it slide it could grow into an agressive cancer make them take care of ur baby