Aa
A
A
Close
Is next day chemotherapy, after Mediport surgery, too soon?
My mom had surgery and had a Mediport put in yesterday (Thursday), and the Oncologist wants to start chemotherapy today (Friday). I am concerned that it's too soon, because the surgery is new and she will probably vomit. Is next day chemotherapy, after Mediport surgery, too soon?
Cancel
5 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1666434 tn?1325265950
Did they end up doing the surgery right away?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
684030 tn?1415615923
I know that this is a late response; but for anyone else who might have this question...  my mom had Chemo within just a couple of days after having her port implanted. According to the attending nurse who was overseeing the port placement procedure, it's completely safe for cath or mediports to used immediately after placement.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1666434 tn?1325265950
Thanks for posting a follow up we have a family friend going through this right now so good to know :D
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I am getting a port inserted on 10/17 and I am scared.  Thanks for posting about this ... it sort of  helps the anxiety.  I hope I do well.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Chemo next day after port implantation is possible, if there are no surgical wounds. Make sure you ask the chemo nurses to use longer length needle (3.2 cm) because of swelling of skin after a surgery, extra length needle is a better choice.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Cancer Community Resources
Top Cancer Answerers
Blank
fntn