Cancer Community
Job and Bills After Cancer (State Aided Medical Care

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Hello! I went on state aided medical care for my surgery after my regular insurance was dropped. It was dropped right at the same time making me pre-existing. No one would help but my states insurance coverage. Truely that was a blessing but when on that care I had to make less then $1,100.00 a month. Supporting a daughter and an apartment cost more then that so I lived on my credit cards. Now I have huge debt. Also during that time - to be able to stay on the stated aided insurance - and to keep my monthly income below $1,100.00 I worked flexible jobs. Now that I am able to work full time, I take jobs I just don't have a talent for (sales- commissioned) because it pays the largest amount of money in a short time so I can pay down my debt. On the flip side -- I have lost two jobs in the past two years because I never seem to be able to hit my sales quota. It is just not my talent. Those things I am gifted at doing don't pay enough to support me and pay down my debt. I feel so frustrated and don't know where to turn. My question is - how do I explain to potential employers about my huge debt (many companies check credit rating). And how do I explain what looks to be someone who just jumps from job to job. I am not a slacker. I am the employee that always stays late and goes above and beyond. Thank you for sharing information.