Cancer Community
LGSIL - Precancerous

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

LGSIL - Precancerous

My pap 6 months ago came back with LGSIL, which could be a pre-cancerous sign.  I had colposcopy and the dr. didn't find anything to biopsy.  I just had another pap - had to wait 6 months - and I still have LGSIL.  The dr. said since I had  colposcopy 6 months ago, no need to do one again but I should wait another 6 months and see if I still have LGSIL and then do a colposcopy at that time.

Does this sound right?  Oh, by the way I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago so the LGSIL must be on the vaginal walls since I don't have a cervix anymore.

Has anyone had any experience with LGSIL?

Any thoughts would be welcome.  Thank you,
I hate to do this to you, but I actually have a question in response to yours...  I had my annual pap last week..  Pap came back normal; HPV positive...  I am going in for a colposcopy tomorrow...  What is LGSIL??  
I hope for nothing but wonderful things for you..  MY prayers are with you..  Thanks
Low Grade Squamous Intraepitheliel Lesion - it's underlying cause is high risk HPV.

If your pap was fine but a test showed that you have HPV, you still have nothing to worry about. Approximately 80% of sexually active adults have HPV.  It's very easy to get - you do not need to have intercourse to get it - mutual masterbation (masturbation) will also transmit HPV.  

Usually HPV doesn't cause any problems.  It's when your immunity gets low due to stress, bad eating, smoking that it could cause a problem.  

By the way, the low risk HPV causes warts and these are never cancerous. There is also no test for low risk HPV.  The high risk HPV does not cause warts but can cause dysplasia and cancer in women and even men.  It's usually a problem for woman though.
Thank you so much!  My dr. actually did a colposcopy on me on Sat...  I have been very stressed lately... I had a m/c in April :(...  and have other stressful factors, as does everyone....  I have been freaking out, but you put my mind somewhat at ease.. Thank you.  I really appreciate you responding to my question from your question..  I wish I could be more help to you; or any for that matter... I will, however let you know what happens when I get my results...  I also smoke.... went back after m/c...  Will work on quitting again..  Best of luck to you.. You really sound like a sweetheart..