CANCER
COMMUNITY
Large hard lump in abdomen.
by LW11, Feb 25, 2008
I have had a very hard lump on the right side of my abdomen that I have noticed twice now. The first time was about a month ago, and I am not sure if it has been there this whole time, because I didn't think much about it at that time, and I can only feel it when I am laying down on my left side. The second time I noticed it was on the night of the 21st, and the lump has not moved or changed in size since that night. It starts right at the bottom edge of my rib cage, and about 1 inch in from my side, then it stops right when it gets to my belly button. It moves around easily, and it feels smooth not bumpy, but it is very hard, and is just smaller than the size of both of my fists put together side to side. I have had no pain, tenderness, or any kind of stomach upset or indigestion at all. I am female, only 23, and am 5'9" 120 pounds. I know there is only a very small chance of it actually being any kind of cancer, but I wasn't sure what other forum to post this in. I am on several medications, and I am wondering if one of those could be causing a problem. I take 300 MG of Wellbutrin XL, Loestrin 1.5/30 and 150 MG of Topamax. I started the Topamax last, about a year ago so I am wondering if it could have anything to do with that. I did lose 30 pounds when I started taking Wellbutrin in 2005, and then another 15 pounds when I started Topamax last year without trying. I have made a doctor's appointment for Friday the 29th, but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about what this might be so I could do a little more research before I go to the doctor.
Thank you very much for your time, and any information you can give me.
Member Comments (17)
by Pum, Feb 25, 2008
Are you sure it doesn't go away after you do a poo? I have a similar sounding "lump" in the morning before going to the toilet but it is much less or gone afterwards.
Just a thought. Of course it's good you are going to the doctor.

Good luck.
by LW11, Feb 25, 2008
No, that is actually why I didn't go to the doctor the first time I found it over a month ago, because my mom thought it was just part of my intestines. So I started taking fiber supplements, but after I noticed it on the 21st. I have been checking several times a day to see if it ever changes, and it never does. Even my mom agrees that she doesn't think that's what it is anymore. The first time we felt it a month ago I wasn't laying in just the right position on my side to feel it best, so I could only feel a hard thing, but not really how big or the shape of it. This time I've found what position I can feel it best in, and when I feel it, it has never changed in size shape or position (the position can change if I move it but it goes right back).
by Pum, Feb 26, 2008
Good to get it checked out then. Let us know how you get on. It sounds high up for an ovarian cyst.

Good luck.
by LW11, Mar 02, 2008
I went in to see my doctor but she had no idea what the lump could be, so she has set up an ultrasound for this Tuesday. She didn't have any thoughts on what it was, but she didn't think it was supposed to be there. The only things she told me were what I already knew, that the lump was too high for my ovaries, and that it was a good sign that it moves around easily. So maybe I'll know more after the results come back from the ultrasound.
by Pum, Mar 03, 2008
Hummm, I hope your ultrasound clears things up.

by LW11, Mar 04, 2008
Well, the woman that did the ultrasound could not find anything that she thought looked abnormal, so she said that the lump could be hiding behind my bowels or inside them, so she suggested I get a CT scan. My doctor is supposed to call me back with what she thinks I should do, so I haven't made any appointments yet.
by Pum, Mar 06, 2008
I guess that is better than bad news right? Good luck with the CT scan.
by LW11, Mar 07, 2008
My doctor's nurse just called today with the results of my ultrasound... They were still unsure about exactly what it is, but she believes it may be my kidney.
When I was 15 I did have some trouble with my kidneys bleeding, and I was told that I had thin kidney walls and the blood was seeping through them. The doctor told me that in ten years I would have a 10% chance of needing to have a kidney transplant, and in 20 years a 20% chance and so on. Then about 6 months later the bleeding stopped and they told me I was fine.
I'm not sure what would be happening this time, and if a normal kidney is supposed to be rock hard. They did tell me that the kidney was very low. So I have a CT scan set up for next Wednesday.
Do you know if there is another forum that I should post in for help about kidneys?
Thank you!
by puba, Mar 21, 2009
I just found a lump like you are discribing.I went to a sergeon as i thought it was a hernia as i have had in the past .He doesnt think it is so now i am worried.I also have a cat scan set up for mon 3/30 good luck with your scan, worried in pa