Cancer Community
Liver Lesions including one palpable mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Had appendix out (open wound surgery), they found carcinoid tumour on this, then had CT scan which showed lesions in my liver (including one palpable mass of 5 cm hanging from right lobe), Dr thought may be related to the carcinoid but blood and urine results clear?  Next step for liver specialists to review scan - any ideas what these might be, I am asymptomatic (with the exception of occasional dull ache which lasts a couple of seconds around where my appendectomy scar is).  Radiologist report said the number of lesions in liver look like secondaries but don't know what the specialists will make of images yet.

At this point, there would be a number of possibilities. The chances that it may carcinoid is still there. Inquire if the images are suspicious for carcinoid. Other possibilities are primary liver cancer, stromal tumors, infectious nodules, malformations.

The blood may be able to gauge if it is primary liver cancer, but it cannot really say that it is not. Urine tests may not really contribute to the nature of the lesions found.

Unfortunately, that's all I can really say about this with this information. Inquire about the next step (more likely stepS) to take when you see the specialist.  
Hi there
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.  The dr promised me a call either yesterday evening (the liver specialists were meeting yesterday afternoon) or today with an update - the waiting is painful!  
The liver specialist said the disease scattered on my liver looked sinister, they want me to have an octreotide scan in order to double check the possible carcinoid link (despite blood and urine being clear).  This isn't until 19th and 20th March and I am still not feeling unwell so will wait and see what that brings!  My fiance asked the question as to why they are going down the carcinoid route given the other results and the fact that I am asymptomatic, the dr said to him that the spots on my liver look like they could be cancerous - all very vague!