Cancer Community
Low WBC Count

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Low WBC Count

I had some routine bloodwork done in June and I had a low WBC count of 3.1 (normal range 3.8-10.8) Neutrophils 1290 (1500-7800) were the only ones low. All other WBC were in range. I also had signs of iron deficiency anemia. MCV was low and RDW high.

I went back last week for a follow up after having started taking multivitamins and some iron supplements in the summer. Everything in the red blood count is normal now. WBC is in normal range of 4.2. However the neutrophils is still low 1483 (again normal being 1500-7800) Everything else is as follows:
lymphocytes 2045 (normal 850-3900)
Monocytes 496 (200-950)
Eosinophils 155 (15-500)
Basophils 21 (0-200)

The % breakdown is
neutro 35.3%
lympho 48.7
mono 11.8
eosin 3.7
baso .5

Platlet count is normal at 222 thousand

My doctor wasn't concerned as the WBC count had gone up and is now in range. Does this seem normal?

Feedback appreciated. Thanks
There is no reason to worry as the WBC is in the normal range. But you definitely need to follow up on this and get a repeat blood test done in maybe 2 months or so. Also what can be done is you get yourself tested at 2 labs on the same day , so that the results can be cross checked. Relax and go ahead with your routine activities as usual. Get a regular health check up though and do get the repeat blood test in a couple of months time. Goodluck.
I had blood work done, and my WBC was 5.2 3 years ago, 8 a couple of months ago and back to 4.1. I'm very worried. Also my protein level was a little low. What do you think this means?
Hi there, your WBC could fluctuate tremendously depending on what's been going on with you in the last few years. 8 is still within normal range. 4.1 according to my reference range is slightly low. Many things can affect your WBC including pain, stress, infection, drugs, exposure to toxins/chemicals, diet, cancer, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and many more. What's important to look out for is a trend that suggests your WBC may be getting lower and lower or getting higher and higher. If it fluctuates within the normal range and you are asymptomatic, then it probably doesn't need investigations other than your routine checkups with your doctor. Something to be on the lookout for is recurrent infections or prolonged infections both of which may point to problems with your WBC or immune system in general. Hope that helps.