Cancer Community
Lump In Jaw

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Lump In Jaw

I'm new here and while I have searched through the forum I still felt like I should ask. I have a small lump, i guess the size of a small marble located right underneath my ear in the back of my jaw on the right side of my neck. Now it doesn't hurt at all, its not noticeably to the naked eye. If you were to press your finger against it you would notice it but it still doesn't hurt at all and there are times when i can barely feel it and others when i can really feel it. I haven't had any oral surgery and am reasonably healthy. Now I'm not sure how long I've had this lump maybe a week or two but like i said it doesn't hurt you just know its there and its annoying at best. I don't think its cancer but you cant rule anything out so what should i do, i don't have health insurance and people around me think i should get it look at, i think if i give it more time it might just go away. Any ideas on what this might be and if its really worth paying a doctor to look at?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  That lump on the back of your jaw and underneath your ear is most probably a lymph node, which is normally found in that area.  If it's not tender, or is not enlarged (less than 1 centimeter in size), then you shouldn't worry about it and should just observe for any changes.  Particularly if you're thin, that lymph node underneath the ear can be quite prominent.  So you probably shouldn't be bothered about it.