Cancer Community
Lump in back left side of neck, what could this be?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

I've had a sort of lump on the back left side of my neck for about 2 years now. It's not very big, and it's situated in between the back of neck and the side of my neck kind of where the hairline begins. It has not grown in the two years since i've noticed it, it isn't sore to touch or painful whatsoever. As well, I can only feel it at certain angles and i really have to push into my skin to feel it, it feels hard like it could be a bone or a muscle or somthing. I had a friend who felt it and told me that it's just a muscle in the neck and it's not really a lump, but if i feel the same area on the right side of my neck there is no such muscle or lump there. I am starting to worry about it, especially due to the fact that I have anxiety problems and hypochondria. Also I had the H1N1 flu about 2 weeks ago and logic leads me to believe that if I had a cancerous lump in my neck for 2 years, that flu would have take a serious toll, however my flu only lasted 2 days, and the doctor said that my immune system must be significantly strong if I was able to get over it that quickly. Can anyone give me their opinion on whether or not to get this checked out by a doctor? A part of me really wants to, but another part of me based on my hypochondria thinks that it may just be a muslce or somthing, and the doctor is going to kick me out for wasting his time.
Hi, it sounds like it could be a lymph node, but if it is small and not easy to feel i wouldn't worry to much. If it hasn't grown in 2 years and you have no other symptoms, and you have to press to feel it, it is probably nothing.

Some people can just feel the odd lymph node, some people can feel them all. If you are concerned see a doctor and tell him you think it's nothing but to put your mind at ease.

Thanks, for the advice Angryt, I did end up going to the doctor for a un-related reason, and just asked her after if she could take a look at the lump for me, she told me that it's just a skin cyst, and that if it was a tumor it would have grown after all this time, she also asked me if i wanted to get it removed, and referred me to a dermatologist. I don't think it'll be worth getting removed, it doesn't cause any pain or discomfort.
I have the exact same issue. Thank you so much for the info because I was really freaking out that it might be cancer.
My 19 year old son has a hard marble sized lump on the left back side of his neck right at the hair line. He said it has been there for a while but just showed it to me a couple days ago. It is something new, not something he has had for years. It doesn't hurt. It is pretty much the same color as his skin except for a very, very slight pinkness at the site. He has no insurance and we are both concerned about it. I am open for your comment and advice. Thank you... Mom
I have a marble like knot that the doctor has said it was an enlarged facet joint with arthritis. Another doctor said it was a lymph node, another said it was bone spur... so I don't really know what it is. It's located on the back left side and what feels like is under the muscle. It feel like a marble and does not move like it could be some kind of bone??? The whole left side of my neck is sore and I have pain constantly. I can move my head up and down and left and right...but to tilt ear to shoulder is hard and hurts both going the left and right. Anyone have any ideas for me?
I have the exact same thing. Im glad to know that it isn't serious. I can totally relate to your story completely. Thanks! Now i can stop worrying:)
Last night i found a lump on the back of my daughters neck by her ear and hair line on the left side and then i found one up about 2 inches from that one.. Will she be ok to weight to see the doc till Monday our should i bring her into the er I'm scared shed only 20 months old and we just went threw a cancer battle with my sister