Cancer Community
Lump in center palm of R. hand

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Lump in center palm of R. hand

3535885?1224127083
I am 46 years old. Several months ago, a soft lump formed in the center plam of my right hand. It was about 0.25" circumference and is visible when my hand is open, and fingers stretched back. I can feel that it must be pushing on my tendons because I can feel a slight tension pain that radiates slightly beyond my elbow. I also feel pain when slight pressure is pressed on it. In the last couple months, it has gotten slightly smaller. I am scared that it might be  tumor and I know need to go have it checked. Does this sound like a tumor?
Hi.
Thanks for the nice picture.  The lump looks superficial and is underneath the skin of your palm.  It could be a tendon cyst.  This is a benign tumor.  It doesn’t usually cause pain and tenderness unless it compresses the other structures.    
You may want to have it checked by your doctor for proper evaluation.
Take care.
Thank you sincerely for responding to my worry. I'm indigent and unemployed and know better than to try to live in denial of something potentially serious as a tumor. I like to believe I am quite brave when it comes to facing many kinds of adversity, but it is a fact that I've struggled over the awareness of my cowardace over the thought of this bump. I've been fortunate that I've never had any serious past health issues, and when I began posting my inquiry on this site, I truly felt a concious relief knowing that I was finally starting my path to becoming pro-active towards it.

It does hurt when light pressure is applied.

Presuming that the lump is a benign cyst, how would this normally be treated?
Can I expect that it would be Xrayed, and removed? Or would a sample of the cyst be normally required first before any prognosis is made on whether removal is an option?
Is a tendon cyst mean that I am now a higher risk of tumors in the future?

I sincerely appreciate the professional advise and opinions, for the strength it provides me that I need for my resolve... Thank you Dennis...
Hi again.
You can observe the mass and note for any changes like increase in size, symptom production, etc.  Or you can have it biopsied or surgically removed through excision.  The specimen will be sent to the pathologist for evaluation.  The prognosis would depend on the type of tumor.  I’m not sure whether an x-ray will benefit you since the mass looks like soft tissue in origin.  
Hope this helps.
I just started with the same type lump in my left hand - lower palm - down from my middle finger. Mine hurts a lot. It hurts when I do dishes, wash my hands etc. I found it two days ago then injured the area yesterday by tearing up some cardboard and the cardboard poked me right next to it so I think that's why it hurts more than it should. Let me know if you find out what it is.
I was reading over your recent comments and i regret to say that i have the same exact bump on my right hand. Mine, however, has grown a good amount since i first discovered it some months ago. It doesn't hurt unless any kind of pressure is put on it or if i stretch my palm. I am scheduled for an MRI but before i would like some feedback on the subject.
            thankfully,
                      W.B.
Please let me know your outcome. I have the same bump on my right hand. I have not seen a doctor about it yet but do worry :)
since several mounthes I felt that something a bit smaller than corn seed
in the middle of my left hand palm under the skin with no pain unless if I press on it !! and now it`s extended a little , I still wandring what it is!!
please, may you tell me in case it is danger,
wishing you all the best.
wafic.
I have the same lump in both my hands, they have come up within the last month,they are painful if only touched. Have you ever been told what your condition is?
I have a lump, under the skin,  in the palm of my left hand.  It looks like a cord to the middle finger and just hurts a little.  I also have a small lump on the nuckle of my right thumb which sometimes hurts alot.  Are they connected.  I am 56 years old and to take daily mutivitamins could the be associated with a calsium or iron over dose ?
It sounds like you have a benign condition called Dupuytren's Disease, also known as Dupuytren's Contracture. It is a condition that affects the palmer fascia layer of tissue. That is the layer of tissue that lies beneath the layer of skin known as the Dermis and above your tendons. In normal people, the fascia is made up mostly of Collagen 1, which is a very elastic substance that allows the hand to grip objects without the skin sliding on them. However, in people with Dupuytren's Disease, that Collagen 1 changes over time and mutates into Collagen 3 -- which is a much denser substance. Then, as that substance thickens and hardens over time it attaches itself to the tendon beneath, and it ends up drawing the fingers (usually the ring finger and/or the pinky finger) towards the palm side of the hand. The middle finger can also be affected, but not the index finger or thumb. The bending of the fingers is the "contracture" part of the disease. Sometimes, Dupuytren's does not progress to the contracture stage. However, a small, firm, usually painless nodule in the palm side of the hand is an early sign of the disease. Then, you may notice what looks like  fibrous cord/cords developing that extend up from the nodule towards the base of the fingers that may eventually be affected. The disease is progressive and not curable, but is treatable once a certain level of contracture is present. There is a simple, clinical test involving placing your hand on a flat surface (such as a tabletop) and measuring in angle of contracture using a ballpoint pen. If no contracture is present, that no surgery will be necessary. DO, however, get a doctor's opinion on your condition!
Hope this helps,
        Kim

Hope this helps,
        Kim

I would agree it sounds like Dupuytren's Contracture. In the past few weeks I have noticed the same lumps and I have now noticed I have them on the arch of the bottom of my feet. Its been a while since your origional post I hope you found the help you needed.