Cancer Community
Lump in my neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Lump in my neck

I have recently come across a small lump in the right side of my neck located just past the halfway point of my neck and slightly towards the back (behind my ear as opposed to in front of it). The lump is not painful, hard, and I can move it slightly up and down, and it's not round more of and oval shape. I don't smoke or drink, I am however tired all the time.

At my last physical a year ago I told my doctor about how tired I was all time and after some blood work I was advised that my iron was at a dangerously low level and by B12 was extremely low as well. I should also mention that she could not figure why my iron was so (not that she tried, no further tests were taken). A year later, I am still tired all the time and now I have this lump in my neck. Cancer is also quite prevalent in my family, my aunt is now just recovering from Lymphoma and my uncle bladder cancer. My mother has also advised me that my grandmother was anemic...

Should I just keep an eye on this lump to see if it changes, or goes away. Any thoughts???
Hi.

It would be advisable for you to consult a physician to check out the lump in your neck. Unless a diagnostic test/procedure has been done, such as a biopsy, it would be difficult to determine if the lump is benign or malignant.

Weakness may be due to low iron and cobalamin but there is always a possibility that it may be related to the lump. This, aside from a family history of cancer, should be enough to warrant further investigation of the mass.

Good luck.
This is most probably an enlarged lymph node. Do you have any throat or ear infection? You should get a clinical evaluation done and maybe your physician will preesribe you a course of antibiotics. If the swelling still persists you will be advised a biopsy for a confirmed diagnosis.
Hello,  I have not been sick with an infection since last Christmas (Norwalk virus). The lump is the same size and shape a jelly bean, and has been there for at least two weeks. It may have been longer; however, two weeks ago was when I first noticed it. The size has neither increased or decreased, nor is there any pain associated with the lump.

I forgot to mention, I had mononucleosis and strep throat concurrently about 9 years ago; do you think there is a correlation.   I also just noticed that I now have a lump slightly larger than the one in my neck (on the same side) just under my jaw bone (close to my ear).

Given that this is the beginning of the Flu season, could this just be the onset of a cold or the flu? (I don't feel sick though)
It could either be enlarged lymph nodes due to the cold or flu although you might not be having any symptoms as yet. Also there is a possibility that it could be reactivation of the mononucleosis as in some cases the EBV virus can stay in a dormant state in the lymph nodes for ears. You will need a clinical examination before a confirmed diagnosis can be established. Goodluck.
Hi, i have a similar kind of situation and i m very worried about it.
i m 26 years old, i have a hard feeling on my right side of neck, right below the jaw line. it is not visible to anyone else, only if i press my left side of neck then it can be felt by pressing the area.
almost 7 years ago i had root canal of my main big tooth, but i coulnt eat from that side because i thought its not correctly done, anyhow the problem occured 4 months back from today when i ate chocolate, which i think is not good for my teeth. after that, a hell lot of pain occured in that tooth and after 2 days or so, this hard feeling in my neck occured, and it is still as it is, no change in size i think, i have no pain in the area of neck. but if i work late on computer i get a streched feeling in that area rising to the ear. also if i dont eat for a long time same feeling occurs, how ever i feel a little normal after i eat or sleep.

also i had an operation oof adenoids (adenoids) at the age of 10 or 11, they removed tounsils at the same time too,
plss waiting for reply, should i consult ENT or dentist ???
come on, there are suppose to be 100s of Docs in here, waiting for reply..
Sorry adnan, but you would have got the reply faster if you had posted a separate query. It usually is understood that you might have responded to the above post and not have a query of your own if you use the same thread.
In response to your question, it would be best to consult your dentist first. From what you describe the neck swelling is an enlarged lmph node due to the tooth decay/ maybe infetion in the tooth. You would be prescribed a course of antibiotics to help with the infection and i think you should talk to your dentist about getting this particular tooth extracted.
The lymph node will gradually regress once corrective measures are taken.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
HI,
Thanks for ur reply and suggestion about consulting and posting. I will go to dentist this week, hope this ends with medicine only. and will ask him also bout removing this.

You are most welcome.
Do let us know about your visit to the doctor.
It would be nice to know how you are doing.
Also ask him about pain relief medications, and the course of antibiotics.

Let's hope that it does get ok with oral medication, but you need to consider an extraction if the dentist recommends it strongly.
Good luck.
I have a lump in my throat and I was told it was probably a thyroid nodule. I see another one forming on the right side of my neck. I am tired all the time during the day at night I wake up and am not so tired. I am anemic and have low iron. I don't have insurance and I do not know what to think or do. Is there a such thing as not having enouch iodine.
Hi i had my 2 right wisdon teeth extracted 3 weeks ago and sine then i have noticed i hard lump unnder my jaw on the same side, i think its a swollon gland however ive been to my doc and back to my dentist and ive had 2 corses of antibiotics and still the hard lump is there im getting worried that it might be somthing more serious  , its very hard and large however its not noticeable with the eye  can u give me any ideas