Cancer Community
Lump in the lungs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Lump in the lungs

My grandma cough for 3 months and one day she felt breathless and was taken to the hospital for x-ray. The x-ray shows a lump in the lung, but the doctor did not say what size it is. So we made an appointment with a specialist.
My grandma has recent symptoms like breathless, couldn't walk for long without feeling out of breath, vomiting, pain at the chest area.

She's 80 plus this year and she's a smoker for about 60 years. What are the possibilities that it's lung cancer she's suffering from?
Hi.
Smoking is a major risk factor for the development of lung cancer and other lung diseases like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).  The symptoms of breathlessness, shortness of breath, chest pain can be attributed to many disease conditions including those that I mentioned already.  Consider also a possible concomitant heart problem to cause these symptoms.  
An x-ray finding of a lump in the lung may be suspected of lung cancer considering that she is at risk.  I would suggest doing a chest CT scan with possible CT scan guided biopsy for further evaluation.  A consult with a cardiologist and a pulmonologist may be needed.
Take care.