Cancer Expert Forum
Lump on upper breast (chest)

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

Lump on upper breast (chest)

hi
i am female, 31 years old, australian.
last christmas (about 9 months ago) i noticed a small hard lump on my right chest (just above my breast) - i have been travelling for a year, and at the time was in italy, so i went to an italian doctor. She examined my breasts and told me not to worry about it, that i probably just bumped myself. there was no pain at all to touch, and i didnt feel anything.

relieved, i forgot about the lump until about 1 month ago, when i noticed it again. now i can feel the lump, its not painful, but i know its there. i also have a very very small feeling on my back, in the same position as the lump. again not painful, but it feels like someone is poking their finger into my back (very gently) .

i recently went back to australia and saw a doctor, this doctor again examinded me and told me that dont worry its probably nothing, but said that i shold do an ultrasound if i am worried about it. unfortunatly, i had to fly out the next day and so i have been travelling every since. i am planning to have the ultrasound done in 3 weeks when i return to australia.

my maternal grandmother died of breast cancer about 20 years ago. my father also died of cancer 2 years ago (prostate cancer)

even though i'll be in australia in a few weeks, i am having sleepless nights worrying about this and wondered if i really should insist on seeing a doctor again (i am currently in ireland)

if anybody can give me any advice or information on lumps in the breast, and my symptoms described above i would be greatly appreciative.

carlie
Two doctors have examined you and found nothing suspicious. Also, there has been no increase in size of the "lump" since the time you first noticed it over 9 months ago. These facts make it likely that there is probably nothing to worry about. Please sleep well, and enjoy the fading Irish summer.
However, given your family history, it may be prudent to get a USG of the breasts performed (mammograms are usually difficult to interpret in women as young as you, hence these are usually recommended only after age of 40). You may get this test done after you reach Australia.
All the best, and God Bless!