Cancer Community
Lung Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Lung Cancer

I just found out this morning that a dear friend was just diagnosed with Lung Cancer that has metastasized to her brain. She just found out and it is Stage 4.  She has started radiation but doesn't know about chemo yet.  Does anyone have any words of advice for me as to the best way to be supportive?  I live in NJ, she is in CA and I am going to go out there to stay with her for a while soon.  She is single.  Fortunately she has a lot of friends, but she is very special to me - and want to try to help.
Thanks for any helpful ideas you may have!
          Marcia
Hi!
Stage 4 lung cancer is a pretty advanced stage. During the treatment, there are various side effects of chemo and radiotherapy, low immunity and hence secondary bacterial and fungal infections, low emotional well being, fear, guilt, etc. The patient needs all the support she needs in form of help at home, looking after her food, medication, attending to her when she is vomiting or generally too low to look after herself, doing her shopping, taking her to hospital etc. It is important for the patient to carry on with life as normal as before and you can assist in that too. Share good times, do fun activities she loves, boost her morale and just be there for her. All the best for her treatment. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you for your comments.  This post has been up for a couple days and no one wanted to touch it.  It's nice for a DR. to volunteer comments.
I'm in NJ and she is in CA - but I'm going to fly out soon to spend some time.  Not sure how long.  
A friend said she might not want me around 24/7 - but she asked me to come out and I'm good at reading when she wants to be alone.  She'll tell me too!  We've spent lots of 24/7 time together in the past!   But she needs help.  This is killing me being so far away.
Best,
Marcia
Had a wonderful 3+ weeks with her in March.  Although she was tremendously sick the entire time I was there.

Just received a call this afternoon that she passed away this morning.

Six months from diagnosis to death.  

Devastated.  The world has lost a fabulous person.   :  - ((