Lung Surgery_Scar Tissue
My mom had lung cancer about 3 years ago.  She was a smoke for many many years.  She quit about a month before she realized she had cancer.  She had the cancer removed, had chemo and was fine.  She then had a recurrence in her small intestine of the same kind of cancer about 6 months later, had it remove and has been fine ever since.  She has been healthier than she ever has.  Recently, a spot that has been on all her scans since the surgery has been getting bigger.  Her doctors think its scar tissue because they said the way it's growing is not indicative of a tumor.  Does this type of think happen all the time or is it more than likely a recurrence?
Scar tissue forms any time tissue becomes injured or inflamed.  That can be from disease, some kind of trauma, or radiation.  It is actually quite common - certainly with any kind of surgery.  A good friend of mine with inflammatory breast cancer (5+ year survivor!) developed adhesions (scar tissue) in her small intestines as a result of the radiation treatments.  While adhesions can wreak havoc depending on where they are located, many times they result in no symptoms at all.  It's good news that your mom has adhesions rather than more cancer.
My friends 17 yr old brother has Pneumothorax and his Docter has recomende a new type of surgery, what we want to know is what kind of surgeries are out there for this kind of condition and what are the statistics and results of them. This very very important and we need info as soon as possible.