Lung cancer
I have a 53-year history of smoking.I recently had a PET scan to confirm the results of a CAT scan after carotid artery surgery.  The findings on the PET scan report read  "A note is made of an area of intense activity in the left upper lobe.  This correlates with the pulmonary nodule seen on the nondiagnostic CT scan.  Maximum SUV value is 1.7  Malignancy is in the differential diagnosis.  No other abnormal activity is seen in the lungs.  Hilar and mediastinal region shows normal activity.  Rest of the chest is normal activity.  Nonspecific activity in teh bowel loops.  Rest of the abdomen and pelvis shows normal activity.  Negative for abnormal activity in the liver.  Negative for abnormal activity in the head and neck."  I have an appointment with a pulmonologist in a few weeks.   I'm kind of compulsive and need to compartmentalize this information as soon as I can.  I'm self-employed and need to keep up the pace.  Can anyone give me some answers about what to expect going forward?
Hi there!

The report describes a malignant nodule in the lung (upper lobe ?right/ left), without possible spread to other regions or lymphnode. It would be best to discuss the situation in detail with your treating pulmonologist so that further investigations and management can be planned appropriately.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!