Cancer Community
Lung nodules, bone lesion and low ferritin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

I have previously posted about a 5mm nodule in one lung and a 4mm one in theother and a 9mm ssclerotic bone lesion in L2. These were found incidentally on a ct scan of chest and liver. I have been very worried that these are metastases as I read that multiple bilateral nodules usually are mets. The ct report said the bone lesion was probably a bone island and the nodules were indeterminate so a follow up should be done at 4 months. I have just been told I have low ferritin of 15 and am on iron tablets. My dr is expecting no growth on ct for nodules and is not concerned about mets or the low ferritin. She says the ct report would have said if anything was suspicious for mets even without a known primary. I have no symptoms of a primary anywhere. I had a clear mammogram and pap smear recently. In 2011 I had a ct colonoscopy and a flexible sigmoidoscopy.

Are my fears about metastases justified? Im out of my mind with worry. I would appreciate any comments as soon as possible.

You said previously that chances of mets were low but that was before I knew about the low ferritin.  I am still menstruating but not especially heavily every 3 1/2 weeks.

Many thanks
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? I understand your concern regarding the lung nodules and low ferritin result.Lung nodules or small masses of tissue in the lung are quite common and most of them are benign. I agree with your attending physician that observation/monitoring and repeat ct scan after 4 months  is the  management plan. Causes of noncancerous lung nodules include infections, lung cysts, and vascular abnormalities. Imaging studies such as a CT scan is usually the first test if  a nodule is suspected to be  malignant and if there is no evidence that the possible cancer has spread, monitoring is done. Low ferritin may be attributed to the prolonged menstruation and you may also benefit from a gyne evaluation. Take care and best regards.