Lungs
I am recovering from asthmatic bronchitis. I never had it this severe and they sent me to get a cat scan ( worried about a Pulmonary embolism).  I am just starting to feel normal 4 weeks later. I am on advair 250/50. I use the rescue inhaler someday 2 or three times, some days I am fine. Lots of dry cough at night. Wondering if this is nocturnal asthma, my sleep has been poor for years. The cat scan showed a small 3mm spot on my lung. Radiologist suggested follow up in 6 to 12 months.  I am wondering about getting a pet to get a better diagnosis in 6 months. Is this reasonable? I've been referred to a pulmonary doctor.
Continue regular treatment.If there are aggrevating factors like exposure to dust , allergins avoid it.A pulmonologist will help in the treatment.He will advice if a PET is required.
Also the recent episodes of exacerbation of asthma requires your meeting a pulmonologist before  doing further investigations.
Dry cough can be due to many other reasons other than bronchitis ,a through work up by the pulmonologist will help in the diagnosis and further treatment .The inhaler need be changed if neccessary.
Goodluck
You need to ask your chest physician for long term combination- steroid and bronchodilator inhaler medication or otherwise increase the dose of advair for a few days. That would decrease the use of rescue medication - salbutamol / levosalbutomol usually to some extent. Go ahead with regular steam inhalations and gargles. Get a lung function testing done. Dont worry about the spot and get a repeat PET scan in 6 months. Your chest physician will let you know if he wants one earlier than that. Dry cough should respond to cough suppressants, gargles - warm saline and betadiene, and bronchodilator medication. You would also benefit from a short 7 day course of steroid - oral medication. See to it that you take antacid medication to prevent any heartburn symptoms which would then aggravate your symptoms or even cause the cough. Goodluck.