Cancer Community
Lymph Nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Lymph Nodes

I am a 47 year old female whos was diagnosed with GIST cancer in 03/08. I have cts with contrast every 3 months. on my first scan on the radiology report i understood pretty much of what I was reading. except for 2 sentences under the (Impression) part of the report. It says (1) Probable reactive bilateral inguinal lymph node. (2) segment 5 liver hemangioma. The doctor who diagnosed me told me that I had a liver hamangioma and told me I did not have to be concerned with it. Also my Oncoligist told me the same. Can you tell me anyting about these 2 items and do I need to be concerned about them.? Thank you .
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  The hemangioma is an abnormal growth of blood vessels located in an area where these are not expected, in your case, the liver.  Hemangioma is not a cancerous growth and will not spread to other parts of the body. Hemangiomas don't usually produce symptoms, but in rare instances, the blood vessels may rupture and bleed.  This is an incidental finding on your scan so you shouldn't worry about it.  The "probable reactive bilateral inguinal lymph nodes" are slightly enlarged nodes which they found near your groin.  "Reactive" means that the radiologist is attributing the enlargement of the nodes to infection or inflammation in a nearby area.  GIST is usually a slow growing tumor and rarely spreads to the inguinal nodes.  This may be the reason why the doctors are not highly considering metastatic spread as a cause of those lymph nodes' enlargement.