Cancer Community
Lymphadenopathy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Lymphadenopathy

About 2 months ago, I started feeling something on right side of my throat when I swallow.  I was not too concerned about it at the time.  But the foreign feeling did not go away, so about a month ago, I went to see a doctor.  She told me that my glands are swallen on both side of my neck.  Because I had sore throat as well, she tested for strip throat, but it was negative.  She prescribed me with the anti-biotics to see if it helps.  After I finished taking medicine, my sore throat went away, but I still felt something on my throat.  When I went back to see her again, she told me that the glands are still swallen on both sides (right side was swallen more) and she was concerned about it.  They tested my blood, but the result was normal.  She told me to get CT scan on my neck.  She also said if CT scan does not show anything, I might need to get biopsy on my throat to make sure everything is ok.  Around the second doctor visit, I started having a pain on my tooth that is located on upper right side.  This tooth is the sensitive tooth that I had been having a problem with for a while.  So I went to see my dentist to see if the swallen glands could be coming from the tooth.  She took X-ray of the tooth and compared with the one taken previously.  She said she sees the inflamation (inflammation) of the gum and it is possible that the tooth has infection.  She said to try anti-biotics and see if it reduces the pain and swell (I told her that I took anti-biotics not too long ago).  She suggested that if the anti-biotics does not help, I should follow the direction that the other doctor gave me.  I am currently taking the anti-biotics.  Can anyone tell me what could be the cause of the swallen glands?  Can swallen glands make my tooth hurts or vice versa?  I do not have a good insurance and I dont want to get CT scan if it is not necessary.  Please advise.
-4 Comments Post a Comment

Has your doctor told you about which glands were enlarged? Was it your lymh nodes or tonsils?

A caries tooth could get infected and then hurt and subsequently cause lymph node enlargement.

You should consult a dentist too, and see what needs to be done about the tooth infection. Do continue with the antibiotic medications and pain releif medications.

Let us know about how you are doinga nd if you have any other doubts.

Regards.

The doctor told me that the Lymph nodes are swallen.  She said my tonsils are fine.  

I am going to talk to my dentist after I finish taking the anti-biotics.  When I talked to her last week, she said I might need to get a root canal on that tooth.  But she said lets see how I feel when I finish the medicine.  

One thing I am wondering is that the swell on my glands started long time before the tooth ache started.  Can the tooth ache still be the cause of the swell on my glands?

You need to ask your doctor for the exact report - which glands are swollen and how enlarged are they.

Post us the reports.

If the glands were swollen prior t the tooth ache - there is a possibility of there being another cause to the enlargement.

Let us now about how you are doing and post us if you have any other doubts.

Regards.

I am still having the problem on my throat.  After I finished taking anti-biotics for my tooth, the toothache went away, but my glands were still swollen.  So I went to see a doctor again (different doctor saw me this time).  She checked my throat and told me my thyroid seems swollen.  She said it could be due to acid reflux.  She prescribed me with Prilosec 40mg for 1 month and took my blood for testing.  They did TSH and T4 Free tests, and both were normal.  I have been taking Prilosec for 1 week now, but no improvement yet.  I feel pressure on the right side of my throat as if there is a lump there, and sometimes I feel very tired.  I also think a gland either behind or below my tonsils are swollen although the doctor didn't say anything about it.  I am worried that it might be caused by something more serious.  How long does it take for prilosec to have effect on me?  And is there any other possibility of the cause?  Please advise.

What symptoms are you having?

Post us the reports.

Let us know about how you are doing and post us if you have any other doubts.

Regards.