Cancer Community
Mass on Thymus Gland
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Mass on Thymus Gland

My cousin had breast cancer last year and was operated in March for the removal of a lump. (stage 1)She then underwent chemotherapy, followed by homonal treatment...She was hospitalized in August for OCPD, (quit smoking and is taking medication now for her condition) Recently she went back for a routine CAT scan only to discover that she now has a mass on her Thymus gland. The doctor did mention that we are all born with a mass in this area which normally by teenage years is usually gone.,He also mentioned that in some cases it doesn't. Because of her condition he feels surgery is the only answer. This means opening the sternum to get at the mass. My question to you, is there another method for removal of this mass, alternative methods? I'm in total agreement that it needs to be removed in the event that it could be cancerous but is there any other way they can get to the mass without entrance from her chest?
Thank you for reading and I anxiously wait your response.