Mental confusion in cancer/liver patient
My mother in law has been fighting cancer for nearly 4 years.  it started in her breast, then hips, arms, back... she's had a really rough go.  Now they are saying there is a blockage in her liver, but don't know yet if it is a tumor or something else causing the blockage.  She is quite jaundice and now (fairly suddenly) her mind has gone.  My husband went to see her last night (this is when we got the news) and she just stared at the wall, he doesn't think she knew he was there.  I can't bring our 2.5 year-old son over because they don't think she would know who he is.. which is totally heart breaking, he hasn't seen her in 3 weeks and asks almost every day.  when i saw her 3 weeks ago she seemed totally fine.

We have been told now that the cancer will eventually take her, but weren't given a timeline.. i guess there's no hope of remission..

when mental confusion comes about like this (from what i've read i'm assuming it's the liver issues) does it often successfully come back with medication or other treatments?  she is not in pain, so we just want her back for what time she has left.

I just want to know if the confusion is reversible and how common it is for someone to get their mind back after something like this has happened.