Cancer Community
Mestatic Leydig Cell Carcinoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Mestatic Leydig Cell Carcinoma

My son suffers from subject cancer and I am trying to collate his history to military service.  

His prognosis is poor and each day adds to physical problem, the most recent include:  Loss of feeling in both legs, Intermittent movement of his right arm.  Up until Christmas, he was able to walk but now is confined to bed and movement out of bed requires a hoist.  

There are a number of studies that indicate gulf service in the Navy could be linked to Testicular Cancer but no accepted confirmation.  Additionally, some of the studies have similar characteristics of Mesothelioma which can be linked to his service on the U.S.S. Independance.  

The original Leydig Cell Tumor was found in 1999, 7 years after his service in the Navy.  He had to have a testicle removed for trauma and the tumor was discovered then.

Agressive medical treatment was not forthcoming due to my sons personal problems however, this was later the approach including Chemo which has been terminated.   Medical opinion is that it is futile since the cancer is progressing to rapidly.

Since 1999 he has also had MRSA but his medical records suggest that it could have been a Tumor rather than MRSA.  No  sure of the relevance.

You may be asking yourself why the question since I know alot of what is going on.

If the Cancer can be linked to Military Service in some way, his daughter, who is now 14, can get benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Without a link, she gets nothing.

Thanks for your help.
Well, dear.....it's unfortunate about what is going on with your son, but these cases are very difficult to prove that they are linked to military service especially since the cause of this type of tumor is unknown and there are no known risk factors as well.  So, in the end there probably won't be a good outcome in regards to a "case."

Sorry.