Metastatic Bladder Cancer
My husband had his bladder removed about 3 years ago due to a high grade cancer.  Two months later he had his uretha removed for cancer.  Since then, his CT scans had shown no further problems.  Last fall he began to have back pain that was diagnosed as arthritis.  We have recently found out that it was actually cancer in his spine and pelvic area.  There are also numerous nodules in both lungs and a growth in the abdominal area.  The bones are being treated with radiation for the pain.  The plan is then to use Chemotherapy to prolong his life, but we have been told he will probably not last more than 12 to 14 months.  I really would like to know what to expect and have not been able to get any answers.  Will he be mostly comfortable for the next year?  Or, is it more likely he will get physically worse?  He is 55 now and other than the back pain is relatively symptom free.  I just want some idea of what the next year may be like for both of us.
Hi.  I'm really sorry to hear about your husband's condition.  It's really hard to predict what the next year would be like for both of you.  It largely depends on whether he is going to have a sustained response to the chemotherapy he will be receiving.  If he has a good response to treatment and his tumors shrink, then he would likely have less symptoms and complications hopefully until the better part of next year.  If his disease progresses in spite of treatment, he may subsequently develop complications such as pathologic fractures or spinal cord compression (from the bone metastases); fluid in the lungs or pleural effusion (from the lung nodules); or gut obstruction (from the abdominal metastases).