Cancer Community
Mouth Sores

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Mouth Sores

I have had mouth sores for 14 days .I went to my dentist 4 days ago and he did a mouth exam and looked at my mouth neck jaw under my tongue and the roof of my mouth and when he was done said mouth sores, canker sores but why are they so slow healing I have used salt water and anything you can think of. PS help what should I do I have also been to two doctors and they said the same thing.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present? Minor canker sores usually clear up in a week or two. However, there are some cases wherein  large, persistent or unusually painful sores  may warrant further management such as mouth rinses, topical ointments and systemic corticosteroids.  Cautery of the sores may also be done. If it persists, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper management. Nutritional supplement such as folate , vitamin B6, vitamin B12 or zinc may also help. Take care and do keep us posted.
they are healing well over half the size they were, but I tend to worry since it has taken so long for them to heal.  I have used Peroxil and rinsed my mouth with salt water.  I have been using trimicinalone acetonide as prescribed by a dentist .  The one is about the size of a pencil head now and the other one looks like a small cut slightly bigger than a paper cut. but was a lot bigger.  I am just frustrated and concerned when I wake up every morning and they are not gone.  I have wondered if I should see another dentist but everyone keeps telling me they look better.  What do you suggest I use to further make them heal???? The denists I saw said they were capable of doing a biopsy if needed but neither one of them thought I needed to have it done.  They said they knew what to look for and I have even saw doctors too, but they are still not all the way healed but are improving.  Should I just be patient or is there something else I need to do.  Thanks for the advice. I was always told if they are healing that they cannot be cancer and they have healed a lot. I am taking L lystine and vitamin b complex.  Any more advice would be helpful.  I have just never had sores that took this long to heal.