Cancer Community
New Way of Approaching Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

New Way of Approaching Cancer

There is hope.  I've lived with terminal stage IV cancer for over two years, surpassing the statistical norm for survival.  One of my greatest resources is a Radiology Consultation Clinic that allows patients to view scans with a radiologist after meeting with their oncologists and other specialists.   This clinic is an oasis away from the frenetic and intense setting of the cancer center.   I leave the appointments with the radiologist feeling calm, re-energized, and with a deeper understanding of my condition.  I am able to monitor the tumor's changes in depth, and this helps me participate more in my treatment (which for me, includes envisioning healthy lungs and also meditating, which calms the body.  Cancer patients want to avoid the stress-response, as stress hormones block the function of the white blood cells needed to help shut down cancer cell proliferation.)  If this sounds appealing, ask your doctors about referring you to a radiologist to review your scans and all imaging in depth.  Whatever we can do to help ourselves and our treatment, why not?