Cancer Community
Ovarian Cancer Stage 4

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Ovarian Cancer Stage 4

Dear All,

My mother was diagnosed with ovary cancer in 2007 , she had a surgery and chemotheraphy of 6 cycles . And it reoccured again in 2011 , she took 6 cycle of chemo after that. But then just in 3 months the cyst reoccured in the pelvis , she then took 6 more cycle of chemo and now just after one month the CA125 count came to 251. The latest CT scan report says  1.SIGNIFICANT ASCITES  2.CYST IN THE LEFT PELVIS... ORIGIN COULD NOT BE CLEARLY MADE OUT  3.METASTASES AT THE SURFACE OF THE LIVER/ RIGHT DOME OF DIAPHRAGM,  4.OMENTAL AND PERITONEAL METASTASES

She is suffering severe pain in the abdomin (abdomen) , back and the chest, the right shoulder. There is accumalation of water in the abdomin (abdomen). Please tell me how can my mother get out of this. The doctors here say this is in the last stage and nothing much can be done. Please help,.. Mail: ***@****

Regards.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
In advanced stage of ovary cancer there is involvement of one or both ovaries and distant metastases. There may be cancer cells in pleural fluid .The standard treatment for stage IV ovarian cancer is both surgery and chemotherapy. Almost less than 10 percent of patients experience long-term, disease-free survival after the standard treatment. Surgical debulking and platinum-based chemotherapy may be helpful to prolong the time to cancer recurrence and improve overall survival. The prognosis is poor. It is best to clarify your concerns with her oncosurgeon. Keep me posted.
Best luck and take care!