Cancer Community
PAPILLARY THYROID CANCER WITH MILLIARY LUNG METS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

MY WIFE HAS BEEN DETECTED PAPILLARY THYROID CA WITH EXTENSIVE BILATERAL MILLIARY LUNG METS. 1)WOULD THAT BE WISE TO GIVE HER RADIO IODINE THERAPY AS SHE IS STILL ON 2LIT/MIN OF OXYGEN AFTER TOTAL THYROIDECTOMY; 2)IS THERE ANY OTHER OPTION FOR TREATMENT?3) HOW LONG SHE MAY SURVIVE???
According to endocrineweb -

"Papillary tumors are the most common of all thyroid cancers (>70%). Papillary carcinoma typically arises as an irregular, solid or cystic mass that arises from otherwise normal thyroid tissue. This cancer has a high cure rate with ten year survival rates for all patients with papillary thyroid cancer estimated at 80-90%. Cervical metastasis (spread to lymph nodes in the neck) are present in 50% of small tumors and in over 75% of the larger thyroid cancers. The presence of lymph node metastasis in these cervical areas causes a higher recurrence rate but not a higher mortality rate. Distant metastasis (spread) is uncommon, but lung and bone are the most common sites. Tumors that invade or extend beyond the thyroid capsule have a worsened prognosis because of a high local recurrence rate."

As to Iodine Therapy -

"The Use of Radioactive Iodine Post-Operatively

Thyroid cells are unique in that they have the cellular mechanism to absorb iodine. The iodine is used by thyroid cells to make thyroid hormone. No other cell in the body can absorb or concentrate iodine. Physicians can take advantage of this fact and give radioactive iodine to patients with thyroid cancer. There are several types of radioactive iodine, with one type being toxic to cells. Papillary cancer cells absorb iodine and therefore they can be targeted for death by giving the toxic isotope (I-131). Once again, not everybody with papillary thyroid cancer needs this therapy, but those with larger tumors, spread to lymph nodes or other areas, tumors which appear aggressive microscopically, and older patients may benefit from this therapy. This is extremely individualized and no recommendations are being made here or elsewhere on this web site...too many variables are involved. But, this is an extremely effective type of "chemotherapy" will little or no potential down-sides (no hair loss, nausea, weight loss, etc.).

Uptake is enhanced by high TSH levels; thus patients should be off of thyroid replacement and on a low iodine diet for at least one to two weeks prior to therapy. It is usually given 6 weeks post surgery (this is variable) can be repeated every 6 months if necessary (within certain dose limits)."
Hi, tomorrow I will have the left side of my thyroid remoVed, I had the right side removed in July 2012. The pathology report says I have two microscopic spots of Papillary cancer. My surgeon suggested that she needs to remove the rest of the gland. The reason is that one of the spots is very near to where she cut off the right. Side. She also told me I would get the radiiodine treatment after surgery, didn't say how long after surgery. When a microscopic cancer is found is it still encapsulated and has not spread out of the thyroid gland? I'm hoping my left side pathology comes back negative for cancer, oh and the biopsy I had months ago said I had follicular neoplasm on the nodule that was biopsied, well when they took out that side and nodule, the nodule turned out not having any cancer at all. The cancer cells they found were missed during the biopsy because theuy only biopsyed the nodule which was the largest, so I'm wondering why it showed follicular neoplasm and the when it was checked after surgery didn't have any cancer? So I'm thinking maybe the left side has some nodules or cells that the biopsy didn't catch, because they only biopsied the largest one. I think that they should have checked more than one nodule on each side, this is my first time here so I'm not sure if I'm in the right page, thanks